The cheapest solution for hosting?

(ljpp) #77

Well, I may be a little biased as I am currently ‘friendly’ with UpCloud’s staff, but the fact is that I have been with them since last October. During that time I have experienced zero down time, and the performance is great. Rebuild times are snappy and I we have had some decent traffic spikes too.

They have a short free trial, so definitely worth a look, if quality hosting is what you are after.

Speaking of bargain basement, I bit the bullet on Aruba’s 1€ offer and while their dashboard gives me nightmares and they send me emails in italian, the server itself has been solid. No performance or downtime issues. Totally useful as a development environment or small communities.

(ljpp) #78

Just noticed a thread regarding lowest possible cost of Discourse hosting. Unfortunately it was closed and even the user had been anonymised.

Bitnami installation for newbies

It is worth pointing out to newcomers that there are a ton of VPS hosting options below the 10$ - even for less than 5$. So cost is definitely not a factor when planning for a project based on Discourse.

(Daniela) #79

But Bitnami installer is not a standard installation, I mean, if you want to try Discourse for some test, to see the feature etc… it’s great, but I would never use it for a site in production regardless of the price.
(IMHO) :grinning:

(Jeff Atwood) #80

$5 is a bit limiting, but you are correct, it is more possible to get a decent VPS with

• 1GB RAM
  • modern Intel CPU
  • 20+GB disk space

… for less than $10 these days. I just didn’t want to set unrealistic expectations.

(James Mc Mahon) #81

This so many times over. Like I just said here

(Robert) #82

I have a multi-site setup (two distinct discourse forums on different domains with ssl) running using the cheapest offer from Scaleway called “Starter X86-64” for 3€/month: https://www.scaleway.com/pricing/

You can chose from a varity of host systems and few allow to follow the default docker installation. They also provide an image for Discourse, but I do not know if it receives regular updates.

Back in time, I tried to run Discourse on their ARM server. It’s possible, but cumbersome and difficult to update (read more).

(thomas) #83

I use OVH. I found it really good and cheap. :grinning:

(Christoph) #84

Oh wow, they give you 2GB for 3€? And 50GB SSD. What’s the catch?

Edit: Oh, it’s ARM cores. I see.

(DjCyry) #85

Whell guys ,
I have tested many hosting companies for discourse and in my opinnion , DigitalOcean is the best option for hosting discourse , one click install or self install .
I repeat , in my opinion .

(ljpp) #88

No. They have x86 Atom cores. Slow but works.

(Stephen Chung) #89

A light Discourse forum doesn’t use up much CPU, so technically speaking it is doable.

However, the ./launcher rebuild app time must suck though…

Hi all,

I quickly tested a B1MS from AZURE, new line up of cheap machines coming for january 2018 (well…already there in preview with a pricing that might change early 2018).
By cheap I mean less than 9€ / month for : 1vCPU / 2GB RAM as advertised here:

I then ran a vpsbench from an Azure B1MS and got the following result :

CPU model:  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2673 v4 @ 2.30GHz
Number of cores: 1
CPU frequency:  2294.686 MHz
Total amount of RAM: 1916 MB
Total amount of swap:  MB
System uptime:   1:36,
I/O speed:  5.0 MB/s
Bzip 25MB: 5.47s
Download 100MB file: 12.6MB/s

Yep…kind of a no-go on the IOPS :D.
I found a more detailed page regarding that on the MS website : Azure Windows VM sizes - General purpose | Microsoft Docs (it’s supposed to go up to 10MBps though but still…).

[edit]

I also tried the Standard A1v2 from AZURE (1 vCPU / 2GB) priced at ~25.7€ / month.
These instances are using HDD and not SSD but are advertised as the latest generation of A-series with faster disk.

I did get better results on the I/O for a 64GB disk attached (better than B1MS) but still expensive related to the performance :

CPU model:  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2673 v3 @ 2.40GHz
CPU frequency:  2397.225 MHz
Total amount of RAM: 1916 MB
System uptime:   4 min,
I/O speed:  30.1 MB/s
Bzip 25MB: 13.55s
Download 100MB file: 12.6MB/s

Adding some test as well on the AWS t2.small (1vCPU / 2GB) with a 64GB EBS (so non-optimized as using a t2.small).
This instance type is currently listed at $18 / month when “on demand”, but the price drops at $12.92 a month with no upfront payment if u reserve it for 1 year.

Results are consistent w/ Rafael ones from last December :

AWS t2.small (w/ 64GB provisioned on the attached EBS) :

CPU model:  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2676 v3 @ 2.40GHz
CPU frequency:  2400.108 MHz
Total amount of RAM: 1998 MB
System uptime:   10 min,
I/O speed:  67.6 MB/s
Bzip 25MB: 4.69s
Download 100MB file: 46.5MB/s

Hi Discourse community !

I tried the discourse platform in an ongoing effort to support a teacher community of practice at my college (I’m a teacher myself).

I find the Discourse platform perfect for my needs, however my school administration is not willing to pay for the hosting service and the TI are slow movers, so if I count on them we will have our Discourse website in the next decade or so…

Since I’m not willing to pay from my own wallet, I was wondering if you know any way to host totally freely a Discourse website? I know that on GitHub there is a possibility to host a personal server space. Any users experimented with that kind of solution on GitHub?

Thank you for your help !

(Bhanu Sharma) #93

That doesn’t work unfortunately.

There are server upkeep costs that are required to keep a system online 24x7 … If you don’t want to pay maybe try hosting it on your home PC and let it run 24x7

(Jay Pfaffman) #94

At one Public Flagship University institution where I was faculty I was able to host Moodle on my own desktop or a server that I purchased with my startup package. At other public and private universities where I was a grad student and/or staff, I was similarly able to run a server on the University LAN. My last institution forbid doing any hosting on their LAN, so I paid $10/month for Digital Ocean. If you have a job anywhere in education and are spending less than $150/year for services or materials that should be provided by your institution you are in a very small minority.

I have a handful of professors that I host or did a $99 install.

(Héctor Fernández) #95

AWS has a free tier that includes running a t2-micro instance for one year. The t2-micro instance meets the minumum requirements to run Discourse. Maybe after one year you can convince the school administration of the value of the forum.

(Bhanu Sharma) #96

That minimum is really not Going to cut through a lot of Load I Guess! … With that setup, my test server with ~50 users had crashed spectacularly with amazon Going crazy mailing me everyday to upgrade tier and pay for their super expensive services.

(Stephen Chung) #97

Azure offers a free basic Linux VM for one year plus some free credits you can use.

It is a B1S box with 1CPU and 1GB RAM. You’ll not like the performance when building Discourse, but otherwise I suppose it MAY work fine… never tried it though.

When 1 year is over, it is around USD 8 per month. That’s about three cups of coffee at Starbucks or something, right?

(Bhanu Sharma) #98

Seems very similar to what amazon offers … Plus azure puts You on a comparatively lower bandwidth class so I think that too will become the bottleneck.

(Stephen Chung) #99

Except that I believe Azure won’t keep bothering you to upgrade your VM… it will just simply not work, or run like a snail…

:sweat_smile:

No harm trying it out though… it is free!