The IPS Community Suite 4.0 preview

(Tomo Vukasović) #1

Old IPB is out, but little has been done considering how much time it took to get to the version 4 (still in beta)

http://zend.ipsdevserver.com/ips4/

(Azareal) #2

I’ve discussed it before with some other people and the consensus generally boils down to… It looks the same as v3.0.

Asides from the contribution points, which isn’t exactly new (Crunchyroll has it, for example), I can’t immediately see any visible improvements other than, an obvious new theme. As for the new theme, whether it’s good or not depends on your taste although, it’s certainly less advanced.

If I remember correctly, one of the main purposes of v4.0 was to simplify the CSS as it got so complicated that it was a nightmare to make themes for, so practically every theme cost a fair bit of money and they weren’t even custom themes.

Alright, it’s made many moderation / administration improvements, I can see that from the blog. I’ve seen people whose immediate reactions were… So, it’s the same as IPB3?
This is simply due to the fact that most people don’t read the blog and in fact it would be arrogant to assume that most people do before buying the product or making their judgement on it.

http://community.invisionpower.com/blog/1174-ips-company-blog/
Plenty of blog posts about 4.0 here, if you want to see what they’ve changed.

(Tomo Vukasović) #3

I am not sure where is this being discussed.

Now I ponder to move one large forum from IPB 3.4 to Discourse.

(Azareal) #4

Not on these forums, don’t worry about that.

Well, it really depends on whether you like the suite or whether you’re just using it for the forum software. Discourse is certainly not a suite, so if you really like the suite then, that would cause a big problem.

(Tomo Vukasović) #5

I own just forum. Suite has been always done terribly.

(Kane York) #6

Remember that change is always difficult in a community - it’s not always a good idea to change, especially something major like the forum!

(Jeff Atwood) #7

I don’t think this is on-topic here.