The right side link column is confusing

(Michael Downey) #1

I was scanning through stuff on Meta, and realized how much I miss the incoming vs. outgoing link icons in the right column. Right now, especially with incoming links, you just get this random blue link floating out there, and have no idea what it’s doing over there.

No context. Very strange.

Opinions?

(cpradio) #2

It used to have a glyph but it was removed (that conversation should be somewhere within the UX category). If I had time I’d search for the topic for you. I’ve personally gotten used to it now.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

This was really covered ad nauseam in the previous topic, adding a title to that column seems much noisier to me.

If you hover your mouse or you are on a touch device you will see reply as linked topic under that link which is a just in time explanation. That’s a linked topic.

(Dave McClure) #4

I don’t feel too strongly about this any more, but I still think what @Vocino
proposed in that other topic would have been a better way to reduce the noise without losing the context.

Here’s a link to that post in the other topic:

(Michael Downey) #5

Feel free to merge the topics if you like. I for one wouldn’t say it was “discussed ad nauseam”, because everyone in that topic but @codinghorror seemed disappointed in the removal of the contextual icons. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Dave McClure) #6

To be fair, @sam was not disappointed either:

While there was plenty of discussion about it before, since the MO is to try living with things for a while, I think its only fair to get this kind of feedback after living with it…

Again, I’d personally prefer what I mentioned above, but I don’t have a strong preference…

(Jeff Atwood) #7

Just a reminder of what you see on a touch device or when you hover your mouse over the right gutter

That to me is a de facto explanation of what exists there.

(Michael Downey) #8

Hey that ‘+’ is redundant noise too, we should get rid of it. :wink:

:door: :runner:

(cpradio) #9

May I turn this into a “slight” suggestion?

Can we have a class added to these links: “outbound-link” and “inbound-link”? That way those who want to make it more obvious can, and those who don’t, don’t have to do anything?

I don’t miss it enough anymore to make it more obvious on our instance, but others still may want to.

(Sam Saffron) #10

Sure, PR welcome its a simple change, I suspect the class is there anyway

(cpradio) #12

Done.
https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/3083

(Jeff Atwood) #13

We agreed, and the right side gutter has been completely restructured. You can find links, marked with incoming or outgoing arrows, under each post now.

(Jeff Atwood) #14