I like the recent changes discussed here very much.
I noticed now that there a 3 very different presentations for the categories in 3 different dropdowns.
(1) On the topic page:
good: its nice looking
bad: its a little short and scrolling a bit awkard
(2) In the hamburger menu
good: you can see all categories always
bad: its not as pretty as the topic page dropdown
(3) In the create topic dialog
good: you can type to autofind/autocomplete
good: summaries are helpful to direct poster to choose the right one if they read it
bad: summaries take a lot of space, only 3 topics shown at a time, scrolling is awkward
bad: its not as pretty as the topic page dropdown (variable width badges)
Here are some not completely baked observations and suggestions for discussion regarding the three different category dropdowns
- use one control or similar style for all 3:
- use a minimum width for bagdes everywhere (like latest on topic page)
- allow typing to find category by autocomplete
- do not show summary by default
- show summary while typing to find category
- show summary of selected category in the create new topic window
- move the hamburger menu category list to the search box.
- when search is blank, show full list of categories underneath
- as searching begins, show matching topics, users and categories