Theming/Plugin Workflow?

(Zinglish) #1

In reference to this post, I am wondering what’s the best way to go about developing/editing themes and/or plugins for Discourse?

I had a fairly long look at Docker (as I am new to it) and I got a vanilla setup going on my Debian machine. I also took some time to see any potential development setups I could go with to develop plugins and themes and I couldn’t think of anything that would be efficient.

So my question to you guys is: What exact setup do you guys use when developing plugins and themes? I saw somewhere that people were basically stopping and starting the Docker app? That seems tedious and unnecessary surely or is that the only way?

(Sam Saffron) #2

When doing plugin development you really want a local setup, at the moment we don’t have a docker based dev setup but do plan to get there eventually.

(Zinglish) #3

What constitutes as a local setup? Do you mean literally setting Discourse up locally without the abstraction of a VM because I do have it setup on my dev machine using the Docker app setup procedure, does this count as local?

(Sam Saffron) #4

I do all my dev work on a VM so a VM is totally fine, but you do need a dev setup, search around there are a few guides.