Thoughts from community metrics conference

(gingerling) #1

I am at http://flosscommunitymetrics.org/ and just noting my thoughts relating to discourse.

Thought 1: monitoring regular contributors activity over time in order to care for your community members.

We have about 10 hard-core contributors on out forum (not many, can be tracked by a human over time). Recently, one of our key people “fell of the map” and stopped talking, after about 10 days I realised there was something wrong. Turns out he was seriously ill, we sent him a bunch of flowers etc, now he is better. Would be good to monitor individuals over time for big changes in their posting behaviour, so in a larger project the community manager/leader can reach out and find out what the issue is.

Detailed understanding of the dashboard statistics and data
(gingerling) #2

If you want to measure metrics of your forum and rates of solutions, the point at which issues are marked solved is important - it should be consistent and well defined - both in forums and in metrics system.

Is there a way to mark issues as solved - but not closed - yet in discourse? I remember reading about it before.

(gingerling) #3

Does discourse have an API?

(Simon King) #4

Yes, as a plugin:

Yes, although I’m not sure what the stability guarantees are:

(Alessio Fattorini) #5

Love it. I had the same experience in the past. Just to remind to ping someone

Sad for not being there ;-( I’ll come at bruxelles this evening.

(Michael Downey) #6

FYI, the dashboards being presented at this meeting are also capable of measuring Discourse activity via the API. There may be some things they can’t easily get to, given the current state of the API, but I’m not sure.

(gingerling) #7

make sure to meet bitergia people for an overview :slightly_smiling:

(gingerling) #8

Yes, It’s great!! :slight_smile: (the measuring of discourse not the API staus)

(Alessio Fattorini) #9

Ehi @downey I’m sorry that we weren’t not be able to meet at fosdem :frowning:
Check also this https://community-analytics.com/ really cool and useful!

(Michael Downey) #10

Such is the busy life of community managers at FOSDEM :slightly_smiling: I did find some of your stickers, though!

(gingerling) #11

huh, cool. Is that Open Source?

(Alessio Fattorini) #12

I don’t think so, it’s SaaS and costs 35$/month

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #13

Would appreciate your thoughts on this:

(Anton) #14

Note that activity of regular members can still be seasonal, this has been the case at least in our community for ~3 years.

Reasons:

• passion is seasonal
  • business that drives participation in your community is seasonal
  • a lot of other things that affect people’s will to invest their time into your community is also seasonal: well-being, education, travel, etc

Re metrics, I should link to this: Don't be fooled by activity metrics – they may vary greatly in different community types