Thoughts on the ability to show users that are reputable?

(Daniel Fischer) #1

I find it reassuring to ask a question on a forum, and then see a reply by someone that is denominated as having reputation to back up their word. Any ideas on how this may happen with Discourse?

(Johann Visagie) #2

I note that there’s a “Trust Level” indicated on a user’s profile page. I don’t (yet) know how this is calculated.

Personally I’m not a huge fan of forums where every second user has a “Super Meta Administrator-General Czar” badge or whatnot. Just discourages new users from participating, and enables a classist system.

(That said, I like the subtle indication currently in Discourse.)

(Vaibhav Garg) #3

What subtle indication, and where can that be seen? I believe that’s too subtle!!

(Johann Visagie) #4

Click on a user’s name to go to their profile page.

Left column, bottom-ish.

(Jeff Atwood) #5

We are strongly considering adding “labels” for users that Moderators can grant at their discretion. These are just arbitrary, not tied to any trust levels or any such – things like:

• sponsor
  • staff
  • contributor
  • owner
  • Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville

Basically any B.S. job title you can think of.

Plenty of room on the user page for this, I’m not sure where this will fit in the topic UI, exactly, it might have to be pretty subtle.

(Sam Saffron) #6

I want the mclovin badge please

(Kiran Patil) #7

Does reputation system like GitHub - merit-gem/merit: Reputation engine for Rails apps will help here

(Jeff Atwood) #8

Probably not, this is a core function and something we should build ourselves not outsource.

(Oren Phipps) #9

I agree with what has been proposed.

(jcreed) #10

@ Xhi- Your just giving in then?
[Hey why cant visitors put images in posts]?

(Régis Hanol) #11

Labels have been available for a while now.

:arrow_left:

(Régis Hanol) #12