The plan is that a new stable release is made every 8 weeks.
So in another 4-5 weeks, everything that changes in master will get merged into stable, including all the updates to the translations made since the last release.
This doesn’t require backporting anything.
However, if many strings are left untranslated when that next release is made, they will stay that way for another 8 weeks. (Fixing that in the interim period would require backporting changes, which may be difficult for the reasons you mention).
So my advice remains:
- Keep things up to date on master
- Review the translations for completeness in the 1-2 weeks before each next stable release.
- The team should be aware of this and help translators by:
- communicating the expected release date of the next stable release in advance by 1-2 weeks
- trying not to make/accept major changes to translation strings in those 1-2 weeks prior to each stable release
The quote I pulled above from @sam’s post on the post v1 release schedule mentions a similar approach to helping plugin authors make sure their extensions are in working order prior to each stable release.
I think @techapj has been responsible for pulling in translation updates recently so he may have some insights here as well.