Tips on How to Start Up and Successfully Create a Forum?

(Eric) #1

Forums are obviously very difficult to start up due to their inherent nature of requiring an active user base from the onset to ensure its own success.

I’m trying to start a niche automotive community with Discourse. It’s only been about 5 days, but I can feel that things are constantly being balanced on a thin wire during these initial days.

What’s the best way of rallying members and building the base, short of directly spamming everyone you know on Facebook (I’ve already done that, to an extent). Are there any other ways to advertise?

As far as content goes, I’ve been putting in work to keep the posts going and constantly try to generate interesting threads.

(Sam Saffron) #2

My general rule for a successful community is that you need 5 active users that are posting stuff ideally every day.

Perhaps instead of focusing on getting 1000 users why not focus on getting a small handful of super passionate users?

(Jeff Atwood) #3

See our general advice at Building a Discourse Community

(Pad Pors) #4

my own experience:

1. invite some potential users who you know, and explain clearly what you have in mind for the future of this forum.
  2. invite some strangers as well. and be sure that the goals as well as guidelines of the forum is clearly described in the forum.

and try to get 5-10 active and 20-30 more-or-less active users at the end of this phase. Then continue with this pace and try to keep people live. if you can keep this number of users for long enough time (at least 1-2 months) they will start bringing new people for the forum.

p.s.: this is not necessarily the best approach.