Title changes pointlessly to "site name" during page load

(Dean Taylor) #1

The title of the page appears to change multiple times during page load.

1. The title of the page already set via the HTML TITLE tag during page load.
  2. Later the title is changed via JavaScript to the site name “Discourse Meta”
  3. Later changed again back to the original topic title found in the HTML TITLE tag.

Seen here on reload the title changes to “Discourse Meta”:

And here on initial load:

This change of title is very distracting taking your eye away from page content.

And may be an indication that other JavaScript actions are being taken on page load that are not required, possibly slowing the page loading process.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

I agree I noticed this too, @eviltrout can you have a look next week?

(Sam Saffron) #3

A lot of this hackiness was introduced to work around chrome being really terrible at allowing you to change title.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

Maybe that hackiness is no longer necessary in newer Chrome versions? It almost feels like it is doing a redirect when the page loads.

(Robin Ward) #5

The bug was not related to the Chrome bug. We were probably setting the title when the app was first loaded (for SEO), and when our app booted up it was throwing that title away temporarily.

I did look at the Stack Overflow issue for the Chrome bug and it was claimed to be fixed over a year ago, so I’ve removed it too. If we notice any more title weirdness in Chrome we can always put it back, but I’d prefer not to have hacks unless we need them.

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/6c65162b05c3768f7972ed7a79f94aba5a5163b5

(Jeff Atwood) #6