Too hard to find dismissed category descriptions

(Michael Downey) #1

So I was posting something to the “translations” subcategory here on meta, and was trying to find the category description to make sure I was on-topic. But apparently, at some point, I had dismissed the pinned “About the translations category”, and kept scrolling and scrolling, but couldn’t find it.

While top-level categories have their description from that “About the X category” post displayed on the /categories list, sub-categories currently do not. There are only two ways to find it:

1. In the drop-down menu when creating a new topic.
  2. Searching for “About the X category”.

Is there any reason why this same text couldn’t be worked into the UI above the topic list in a non-obtrusive way rather than as a pinned topic? (Similar to how categories with a Category Logo Image.)

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Do you really want to see the category description over and over like that, though?

It works for the logo since the space is going to be there with the image anyway.

(Michael Downey) #3

I guess the weird thing here is, what happens if you dismiss it and then want to see it later?

Perhaps if the categories list gets a new UI at some point, subcategories could be considered, which would probably be good enough IMHO.

(Kane York) #4

It’s linked in the category Edit dialog, on the “Edit description” button.

(Jeff Atwood) #5

So it is findable for staff no matter what. @downey I don’t expect many regular users to manually dismiss the About topics in each category… that is the real root of this.

(Michael Downey) #6

That could be. I don’t have a good feel for how many people do dismiss it. (And I don’t think there’s any easy metric to see for that, is there?)