Too many updates each week is effecting users

(Mohammad Mustafa Ahmedzai) #1

Many of my users are complaining that they are not able to access the forum because of the FB login error which says:

When I upgrade discourse, the error disappears and users are then able to access the forum via FB. But causing readers such inconveneince every other day or week is surely not favourable. Can you guys do something related to these frequent updates? Can you guys release updates monthly instead of weekly? This would greatly help our readers grow and keep them happy.

(Bart) #2

I’d be interested to learn more about this - my users complain about the same issue. I’ve reviewed my FB app settings but can’t find an issue. I haven’t linked it to upgrades though.

(Mohammad Mustafa Ahmedzai) #3

I guess the new updates is effecting the FB app specifically . I have heard no complains regarding twitter, yahoo or gmail logins yet

You may want think about not updating immediately if you are using plugins. The pings for updates includes beta builds; which, termed beta, suggests it can cause problems in production. You have already seen some of the issues created by trying to keep a bleeding edge code base while supporting third party addons, and this is a ubiquitous circumstance in actively developed software platforms of any kind. Best practice is to keep a stable version and update only when the developers of the plugin you would like to use issue release notes describing which version of the platform the plugin was built around and will work with.

(Robin Ward) #5

I don’t see the connection between the application updating and facebook not working. I suspect there is a separate issue with facebook logins.

Are you saying that after your perform an update it just starts working again? In that case I wonder if some data is going stale and needs to be refreshed.

cc @sam

(Mohammad Mustafa Ahmedzai) #6

That is exactly what is happening:

The FB login works perfectly but after sometime users complain that they are getting an error while logging through FB. Then I simply upgrade the forum, after which the error disappears and the login system works just fine