Tooltips for the blue and grey circled counts?

(Dan Dascalescu) #1

What do the grey and blue circled counts mean? Presumably “unread” and “total” number of posts in that topic?

Tooltips would help. Thanks.

(Michael Downey) #2

Sometimes I think I understand these, then other times I don’t, and I’ve been using Discourse for well over a year. Clarity would be great.

(Dave McClure) #3

See also:

(Jeff Atwood) #4

Not sure why the hover explanation tool tips are not showing there. Odd. That should be the first port of call on a mouse capable device, at least.

This comes up about once a year, so it really isn’t encountered much @downey. Remember we practice complaint driven development here, amortized across hundreds of instances and prioritized by paying customers.

(Michael Downey) #5

Wait a minute, are you asking me to complain more? :wink:

(Jeff Atwood) #6

I can definitely confirm tooltips seemed to disappear from these, somehow:

<span class="topic-post-badges">
<a href="/t/artist-steals-top-1-inch-piece-of-englands-tallest-mountain/54563/22" class="badge badge-notification unread" title="">68</a>
</span>

Can we get the hover tooltips back in on the numbers, @eviltrout? I’m pretty sure we have copy in there…

total_unread_posts:
    one: "you have 1 unread post in this topic"
    other: "you have {{count}} unread posts in this topic"
  unread_posts:
    one: "you have 1 unread old post in this topic"
    other: "you have {{count}} unread old posts in this topic"
  new_posts:
    one: "there is 1 new post in this topic since you last read it"
    other: "there are {{count}} new posts in this topic since you last read it"

Ironically enough this is actually a bug, though I agree, the distinction between new unread and old unread is probably not that important…

(Robin Ward) #7

This looks like a regression from when @sam converted it to use the {{raw}} helper. I took a look at fixing it but was a little confused – it seems like this line doesn’t point at the proper computed property? Actually it seems the view reference there points at nothing?

You should probably take a look at this one Sam.

(Sam Saffron) #8

Fixed

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/2843224e80249b7ea19bd694389e4f72db34c3bd

(Sam Saffron) #9

(Jeff Atwood) #10

Here’s what it was supposed to (and now does) look like…

If it helps, you can think of grey as “old timey old posts” like black and white movies.