Topic above 'pinned' topics

(Matches) #1

This appears to be happening when the ‘new posts available’ stuff is being loaded and you click on the link. Instead of placing them under the pinned topics, it puts them over the pinned topics.

(Salman, Freelance Developer) #2

I noticed this but I figured it makes sense since when you click to reload people might not notice which posts are the new posts. Imagine if you have 10 pinned topics, you might not even see the newer posts on your screen.

The only other solution I can think of would be to scroll down to the new posts, and maybe briefly flash the rows with a yellowish color that fades out (classic rails style).

(Matches) #3

Seems like a good use case to not have 10 pinned topics. That type of thing is incredibly annoying for day to day use.

(Salman, Freelance Developer) #4

It is hard to put a hard number on the number of allowable pinned topics.
On a mobile device 3 pinned topics might be pushing it.

(Sam Saffron) #5

Yeah I agree with @rubydoob the behavior is correct, otherwise people can get real confused about “what just happened” when they click the button. I know it eats into OCD to see incorrect list ordering, but the alternative is not better.

(Salman, Freelance Developer) #6

OCD?

I have an idea, why not collapse the pinned topics?

Actually collapsing the pinned topics might be a great feature because regular users have read them already.

When someone collapses the pinned topics, that could be written to a cookie. You could even create some kind of a funky hash to represent the pinned topics and if the pinned topics are modified you could force them to be expanded.

(Kane York) #7

That’s already done - try clicking on the pin icon, it turns diagonal and will fall off when you reload the latest list.

That’s not really all that discoverable.

(Jeff Atwood) #9

It’s not supposed to be, it’s an advanced method. You can also use the pin control at the bottom of the pinned topic:

(Eóin Martin) #10

Being a moderator on a Discourse forum, I thought that functionality unpinned the topic for everyone like clicking “Unpin Topic” in the Wrench menu, is it possible to update the string to highlight that it just unpins for you not the entire forum?

(Salman, Freelance Developer) #11

It’s the UX version of an easter egg.

Wait, it isn’t really collapsing per say it is actually unpinning the post. The problem with that is if I want to re-pin the post I have to somehow find them again :frowning:

(Michael Downey) #12

What if the icon changed on hover/mouseover? (Currently it does not.)

(Jeff Atwood) #13

As I have mentioned to @sam before there should be a querystring for topic state = pinned. Can you quickly add that before we forget again @sam?

(Salman, Freelance Developer) #14

Pretty much every other element does have some sort of mouse over animation, but it seems @codinghorror wants it to be more subtle. Maybe to keep the mouse over animation ‘noise’ to a minimum?

(Salman, Freelance Developer) #15

You mean you are not using fogbugz?

(Jeff Atwood) #16

This is not a bug, just a “low-pri nice to have”.

(mott555) #17

I’d be more concerned about someone accidentally unpinning a topic when trying to open it by clicking the topic title, and then wondering where it went the next time they reload the topic list.