Topic List Previews (legacy)

A setting from your theme component? All is on default settings except topic list tiles where I removed all the pages.

Sure, you can see the URL is missing the tag name.

1 Like

This was deliberate, note the CSS.

Portfolios is not yet fully implemented on mobile, so I hid the button :).

3 Likes

David, I canā€™t reproduce this Iā€™m afraid, although I donā€™t have any sub-categories on my setup. However, I have been able to witness the issue on your site. Most odd! Are you on latest tests-passed currently?

1 Like

Even without a subcategory itā€™s happening, see this category on my sandbox, I bumped the second topic and the same effect happens. I am on latest of everything as of two days ago

1 Like

I canā€™t access those Topics, letā€™s take this offline.

A bottom up steps to reproduce would be really helpful.

1 Like

As discussed TLP was not offending component.

1 Like

One more little tiny bug for you, pretty sure itā€™s TLP this time :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

This only happens in Chrome, and only with the Tiles layout, it doesnā€™t happen with just thumbnails. When you Cmd+Click a topic to open it in a new tab it does that, but it also opens the topic in the window where you clicked, which is not the expected behavior as it should just open a new tab.

1 Like

David this is not a bug. Tiles are not URL links. Clicking them causes an action of opening the Topic.

1 Like

Okay, must just be different behavior between Chrome and Firefox since Firefox works as I would expect it to. Iā€™ll stop with the non bug reports now :rofl:

2 Likes

In Chrome you can right-click the title to open in the new tab and it will leave the original Topic List alone.

Ha, no please keep them coming.

3 Likes

Hey all,

Apologies if this is redundant, but the more I look into this, the more confused I get about the intended workflow, so I figured Iā€™d just lay it all out and ask for guidance:

Are topic thumbnails now supported through the main tool, and not intended to be setup with TLP? Is there a setting somewhere that Iā€™m missing? Iā€™m just confused now :confounded:

The Problem:

I run www.realtimevfx.com which is a very visual oriented Discourse community. Up until my latest full update, about 95% of our topics had thumbnails applied - most from youtube, vimeo, imgur, and other supported sites. Now that Iā€™ve updated, all of those are gone, and the only thumbnails showing are from natively uploaded user content (which Iā€™d rather not encourageā€¦)

Please note the featured tiles at the top are using my own unrelated carousel script (not for any good reason anymore).

Is there a new intended setup that I use to get these thumbnails working again? Are Vimeo, Youtube, etc still supported correctly?

Many thanks in advance for guidance!

1 Like

Yes, the thumbnails have for a while now been generated by core Discourse so long as you have the correct meta in the Theme Component or Plugin. Both versions of TLP have this meta. The plugin no longer does the actual generation anymore.

However, if youā€™ve only just upgraded to a recent version of Discourse that supports native thumbnail production you will need to rebake your older Topics as the data is stored differently.

New Topics should not be an issue.

However please note that thumbnails are only generated for images uploaded to your Discourse but this includes most onebox previews. You can host your uploads on S3 storage if you wish. Thatā€™s all core behaviour now. Hotlinking is no longer supported.

Also please check you have no errors in the JavaScript console that might be breaking the front end customisations and preventing the thumbnails from showing.

2 Likes

Thank you for the response and clarifications. Iā€™m going to look a little further into a JS error that we do have to see if it might be causing a problem, but I wanted to respond with an example of it not pulling youtube or vimeo thumbnails, in case you can think of something else simple that Iā€™m missing:

Each of these is a new topic created after my last update:

Hereā€™s the youtube one just to show you that it did unfold correctly in the topic itself:

If thereā€™s nothing obvious missing, and my JS error ends up being unrelated, are you available in the next few days for some paid debugging work? (we can take that conversation to a PM).

2 Likes

PM me those links and Iā€™ll try them out on my instance.

NB I donā€™t maintain the logic that does the thumb-nailing work now, thatā€™s core discourse.

1 Like

Hello. Thanks for making this wonderful plugin! It helped our forum look much better, and I really appreciate your hard work. However, I think I might have found a minor bug: It seems that after the plugin is enabled, the tag list for topics would stay in a single line, even if the list is very long(about 20 tags). As a result, the topic list display would become very wide. When the plugin is disabled, discourseā€™s default behavior is to display tags using multiple lines if there are many tags. Because of this, maybe the behavior in the plugin is a small bug? It makes category pages look really strange when many tags are used. Would it be possible to fix this behavior so that many tags can be displayed normally?

3 Likes

Hi Alan, and thanks for your compliments.

20 tags?! Thatā€™s an unusually high number and definitely an edge case that I would not normally have expected. You can probably fix it with CSS, have you experimented?

1 Like

Thank you for making this plugin, it really does help many forums look much more aesthetically pleasing.
My forum especially likes to to link to tweets (Twitter) a lot, however there are no previews that show up for it at all. Since a random BBC article does have a preview, I wonder why a website like Twitter does not? Is this how the plugin was intended to work?

1 Like

This plugin no longer creates the thumbnails itself. That is down to core now (seeing how popular this functionality was, Discourse went ahead and built part of it in core).

The thumbnail making code is opinionated. Not all previews make the grade (eg too small). Perhaps you can share a specific example and we can take a deeper look. Might need to escalate it to the Discourse team.

1 Like

This plugin is broken after the yesterdays last updateā€¦
Best regards

3 Likes