Topic List Previews

That’s expected. The tags are wrapping within their allocated space so continue on a new line.

Your site is looking nice, love the theme.

(David Kingham) #314

Thanks!

I think I didn’t explain the problem clearly :slight_smile:

This tag Topics tagged editors-pick shows only one column on desktop:

All other tags, for example this: Topics tagged region_australia show 3 columns as expected

This is not a bug, it’s expected behaviour:

• the featured tiles setting is on (it’s on by default) which causes them to take up 2 columns.
  • because you have no non-featured tiles in this view there’s nothing to fill the last column.

As I wrote in the release notes:

Workarounds:

• You can simply shrink the browser and it should switch to a 2 column view and the tiles will take up full width.
  • You can turn off featured tiles in settings. (We could make this feature selectable by view, but that’s an enhancement.) Switching it off demotes them back to one column though.

the div class is topic-thumbnail … just right click any image and you can see the html, tags and classes by selecting ‘inspect’ or ‘inspect element’.

(David Kingham) #317

Sorry I totally forgot about that new setting, the way I read the release notes was that you had to add the tag ‘featured’, not whatever tag I was using for featured. Maybe it should be off by default to avoid this confusion? Thanks for your help!

I wanted to ensure people discovered the ‘feature’ :smile:

(Piyush Singh) #319

Is there a simple method for a non coder to make tiles appear in single column? I used the plugin along with sidebars and therefore ‘social’ view was working well. Now with tiles I am unable to make it single column.

Can there be any simple workaround?

Setting off featured tiles in settings does make it single column but the extra columns added are spoiling the style. Views, author etc are not below the post.

Please try tiles in the new experimental version that responds to sidebars. You can also get posts to take up two columns by featuring them by adding whatever you set as the featured tag.

(Piyush Singh) #321

Thank you @merefield

It did reduce it to two columns but not quite the social style intended. I cannot increase the sidebar much as it destroys the style, so the option it seems to me is to somehow increase the tile size? Can it be achieved?

Reduce the browser width and the tile will eventually enlarge and take up more space.

As tiles is responsive to its surroundings the answer is to change its surroundings. You could add a sidebar on the other side too. You could theme a limit to the container width too but that would waste space?

There is a SASS variable you can change in the CSS to restrict the number of columns.

:bulb: Wait, I can create a branch for you that restricts to one column … perhaps you can use that until there is a user setting some day :mantelpiece_clock::bulb:

ok so use this branch instead of element_queries: single_tiles_column:

git clone https://github.com/merefield/discourse-topic-previews -b "single_tiles_column" :rocket: :3rd_place_medal:

@torstensson this may also be of interest to you.

Have added an enhancement to the backlog to implement a user setting (but can’t promise an implementation timeline):

(Piyush Singh) #323

Thanks. You are Super :slight_smile:

I got my style back

(Per Torstensson) #324

Wow! This is perrrrfect - thank you so so much @merefield!!! :awthanks:

@torstensson, @cursed_mask there’s a minor but significant update you can upgrade to on that branch now which partially resolves an intermittent issue of the tiles not arranging themselves correctly on a page change (I believe it still happens very occasionally but much much less frequently).

This plugin causes error 500 with the latest discourse v2.3.0.beta5 +73 update.

Custom Layouts Plugin
The software powering this discussion forum encountered an unexpected problem
(Angus McLeod) #327

Thanks, I just merged the update from @vinothkannans that fixes the issue :+1:

(David Kingham) #328

I’m gettin a 502 bad gateway after updating to this, I had no problem with the discourse update before

Summary
/var/www/discourse/app/models/concerns/has_custom_fields.rb:158:in `[]'
/var/www/discourse/plugins/discourse-ratings/plugin.rb:188:in `block (2 levels) in activate!'
(eval):43:in `_fast_attributes'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/active_model_serializers-0.8.4/lib/active_model/serializer.rb:456:in `attributes'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/active_model_serializers-0.8.4/lib/active_model/serializer.rb:480:in `_serializable_hash'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/active_model_serializers-0.8.4/lib/active_model/serializer.rb:359:in `serializable_hash'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/active_model_serializers-0.8.4/lib/active_model/serializer/associations.rb:124:in `block in serialize'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/active_model_serializers-0.8.4/lib/active_model/serializer/associations.rb:123:in `map'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/active_model_serializers-0.8.4/lib/active_model/serializer/associations.rb:123:in `serialize'
/var/www/discourse/lib/freedom_patches/ams_include_without_root.rb:55:in `include!'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/active_model_serializers-0.8.4/lib/active_model/serializer.rb:368:in `block in include_associations!'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/active_model_serializers-0.8.4/lib/active_model/serializer.rb:367:in `each_key'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/active_model_serializers-0.8.4/lib/active_model/serializer.rb:367:in `include_associations!'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/active_model_serializers-0.8.4/lib/active_model/serializer.rb:362:in `serializable_hash'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/active_model_serializers-0.8.4/lib/active_model/serializer.rb:347:in `as_json'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/activesupport-5.2.2.1/lib/active_support/json/encoding.rb:35:in `encode'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/activesupport-5.2.2.1/lib/active_support/json/encoding.rb:22:in `encode'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/activesupport-5.2.2.1/lib/active_support/core_ext/object/json.rb:41:in `to_json'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/active_model_serializers-0.8.4/lib/active_model/serializer.rb:331:in `to_json'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/multi_json-1.13.1/lib/multi_json/adapters/oj.rb:40:in `dump'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/multi_json-1.13.1/lib/multi_json/adapters/oj.rb:40:in `dump'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/multi_json-1.13.1/lib/multi_json/adapter.rb:25:in `dump'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/multi_json-1.13.1/lib/multi_json.rb:139:in `dump'
/var/www/discourse/app/models/site.rb:123:in `json_for'
/var/www/discourse/app/controllers/application_controller.rb:530:in `preload_anonymous_data'
/var/www/discourse/app/controllers/application_controller.rb:350:in `preload_json'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/activesupport-5.2.2.1/lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:426:in `block in make_lambda'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/activesupport-5.2.2.1/lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:198:in `block (2 levels) in halting'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.2.1/lib/abstract_controller/callbacks.rb:34:in `block (2 levels) in <module:Callbacks>'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/activesupport-5.2.2.1/lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:199:in `block in halting'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/activesupport-5.2.2.1/lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:513:in `block in invoke_before'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/activesupport-5.2.2.1/lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:513:in `each'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/activesupport-5.2.2.1/lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:513:in `invoke_before'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/activesupport-5.2.2.1/lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:131:in `run_callbacks'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.2.1/lib/abstract_controller/callbacks.rb:41:in `process_action'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.2.1/lib/action_controller/metal/rescue.rb:22:in `process_action'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.2.1/lib/action_controller/metal/instrumentation.rb:34:in `block in process_action'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/activesupport-5.2.2.1/lib/active_support/notifications.rb:168:in `block in instrument'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/activesupport-5.2.2.1/lib/active_support/notifications/instrumenter.rb:23:in `instrument'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/activesupport-5.2.2.1/lib/active_support/notifications.rb:168:in `instrument'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.2.1/lib/action_controller/metal/instrumentation.rb:32:in `process_action'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.2.1/lib/action_controller/metal/params_wrapper.rb:256:in `process_action'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/activerecord-5.2.2.1/lib/active_record/railties/controller_runtime.rb:24:in `process_action'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.2.1/lib/abstract_controller/base.rb:134:in `process'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionview-5.2.2.1/lib/action_view/rendering.rb:32:in `process'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/rack-mini-profiler-1.0.2/lib/mini_profiler/profiling_methods.rb:78:in `block in profile_method'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.2.1/lib/action_controller/metal.rb:191:in `dispatch'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.2.1/lib/action_controller/metal.rb:252:in `dispatch'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.2.1/lib/action_dispatch/routing/route_set.rb:52:in `dispatch'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.2.1/lib/action_dispatch/routing/route_set.rb:34:in `serve'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.2.1/lib/action_dispatch/journey/router.rb:52:in `block in serve'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.2.1/lib/action_dispatch/journey/router.rb:35:in `each'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.2.1/lib/action_dispatch/journey/router.rb:35:in `serve'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.2.1/lib/action_dispatch/routing/route_set.rb:840:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/rack-protection-2.0.5/lib/rack/protection/frame_options.rb:31:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/lib/middleware/omniauth_bypass_middleware.rb:32:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/rack-2.0.6/lib/rack/tempfile_reaper.rb:15:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/rack-2.0.6/lib/rack/conditional_get.rb:25:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/rack-2.0.6/lib/rack/head.rb:12:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/lib/content_security_policy/middleware.rb:12:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/lib/middleware/anonymous_cache.rb:216:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/rack-2.0.6/lib/rack/session/abstract/id.rb:232:in `context'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/rack-2.0.6/lib/rack/session/abstract/id.rb:226:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.2.1/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/cookies.rb:670:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.2.1/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/callbacks.rb:28:in `block in call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/activesupport-5.2.2.1/lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:98:in `run_callbacks'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.2.1/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/callbacks.rb:26:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.2.1/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/debug_exceptions.rb:61:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.2.1/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/show_exceptions.rb:33:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/logster-2.1.2/lib/logster/middleware/reporter.rb:30:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/railties-5.2.2.1/lib/rails/rack/logger.rb:38:in `call_app'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/railties-5.2.2.1/lib/rails/rack/logger.rb:28:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/config/initializers/100-quiet_logger.rb:16:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/config/initializers/100-silence_logger.rb:29:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.2.1/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/remote_ip.rb:81:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.2.1/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/request_id.rb:27:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/lib/middleware/enforce_hostname.rb:17:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/rack-2.0.6/lib/rack/method_override.rb:22:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/actionpack-5.2.2.1/lib/action_dispatch/middleware/executor.rb:14:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/rack-2.0.6/lib/rack/sendfile.rb:111:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/rack-mini-profiler-1.0.2/lib/mini_profiler/profiler.rb:171:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/message_bus-2.2.0/lib/message_bus/rack/middleware.rb:57:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/lib/middleware/request_tracker.rb:163:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/railties-5.2.2.1/lib/rails/engine.rb:524:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/railties-5.2.2.1/lib/rails/railtie.rb:190:in `public_send'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/railties-5.2.2.1/lib/rails/railtie.rb:190:in `method_missing'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/rack-2.0.6/lib/rack/urlmap.rb:68:in `block in call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/rack-2.0.6/lib/rack/urlmap.rb:53:in `each'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/rack-2.0.6/lib/rack/urlmap.rb:53:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/unicorn-5.4.1/lib/unicorn/http_server.rb:606:in `process_client'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/unicorn-5.4.1/lib/unicorn/http_server.rb:701:in `worker_loop'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/unicorn-5.4.1/lib/unicorn/http_server.rb:549:in `spawn_missing_workers'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/unicorn-5.4.1/lib/unicorn/http_server.rb:142:in `start'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/gems/unicorn-5.4.1/bin/unicorn:126:in `<top (required)>'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/bin/unicorn:23:in `load'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.5.0/bin/unicorn:23:in `<main>'

I’m back up after disabling all the plugins so it’s definitely caused by either this or locations since those were the only updates.

(Angus McLeod) #329

Looks like it’s being caused by the ratings plugin in your case @davidkingham. I’ve just updated that plugin to handle the change as well.

(Luka Renko) #330

I have noticed, that topic list excerpt properly present links as clickable, but the problem is that it does not respect user setting to open links in new tab/window.
Is this something that can be fixed?

(Ankhamax) #331

Category column shows up in some of the suggested topics even though I didn’t set topic list category column to suggested .

It only happened after I installed this plugin.

How to fix it? Is this some kind of a bug?

(Merlls Rizzini) #332

Its possible to show featured topics only in categories page (not in latest/unread/new) tab?