Topic List Previews (legacy)

Happy to look at that right now: do you have an error in the console? PM me a link to the site if you like.

(FYI resolved)

2 Likes

This is now merged. You should now use the regular master branch.

:tada:

Let me know if you have any issues.

1 Like

A few changes have been made to make the TC compatible with Ember-CLI changes:

Ember cli compatibility by merefield Ā· Pull Request #6 Ā· merefield/discourse-topic-list-previews-theme (github.com)

3 Likes

FYI, the known scrolling issue with the TC in Chrome appears to have been resolved in the Beta version of Chrome (V 96) - the next major version of Chrome.

Therefore this is a heads up that Iā€™m probably not going to put the effort into updating the large plugin version to support Ember CLI and request that you move to the TC version of this ā€œpluginā€ which is in any case much faster, more up-to-date and supports responsive widths.

I may close this topic and create a new one in #theme at that point.

Please do let me know if you have any special dependency on the plugin.

5 Likes

@merefield
Thank you Robert! And to be sure - what about the plugin version that supports TC - should we continue to use it?

2 Likes

Good point. Iā€™ll continue to support the ā€œside carā€ plugin element so that we maintain feature parity.

3 Likes

To make sure everyone is aware of this change, maybe you could add an admin dashboard warning for anyone that is currently using the plugin? You can see an example of this in our old slack plugin.

That message could include instructions on how to get set up with the theme component and sidecar plugin.

4 Likes

Great idea @David, thanks

4 Likes

It is a great news and I am switching the Plugin back to TC. :confetti_ball:

I found that the ā€œLikeā€ button in Tile view may not response when using the ā€œTC + sidecarā€. I can click on it to add Like but if I click again the like wonā€™t remove. The Plugin version have no such problem.

Also sometime error message pop out when pressing the ā€œLikeā€ button.
2021-11-10_070715

I have tested your demo website and it act the same as well.

2 Likes

That looks like a regression. Thatā€™s for making the effort to include a video clip.

2 Likes

Reminder: Please replace the plugin with the TC

NB: There is still a known issue with the TC in Chromium-based browsers where scrolling eventually spoils the layout, but this is fixed in Chrome Beta and the update is imminent.

3 Likes

I enabled the theme component and the side car plugin. It is working fine, however the topic page doesnā€™t seem to have the featured image list at the top. I also canā€™t find the setting to enable it on the single topic page in the theme component settings. Is showing featured image on the topic page not supported?

2 Likes

Thatā€™s correct, itā€™s no longer currently supported.

I suspect I removed it due to the original constraints of it being a TC, which prevents me altering the Topic Serializer.

I will look to add it back in in a future update when I have time (as part of the sidecar plugin extensions)

1 Like

Iā€™ve added a quick fix to un-liking. Itā€™s not perfect but should work in most circumstances.
FIX: inability to unlike Ā· merefield/discourse-topic-list-previews-theme@cbedcba Ā· GitHub

2 Likes

Just want to let everyone know, the Chrome 96 Stable has just released today. :partying_face: :confetti_ball: :tada:

2021-11-16_081754

I just updated the stable version and I can confirm that the TC overlapping layout issue has been solved. :kissing_heart:

2021-11-16_081736

Thank you very much @merefield :hugs:

3 Likes

Yep, awesome. Edge should not be far behind.

Now we just want, I donā€™t know?: native CSS for masonry grids for ultimate performance :wink:

(Not necessary, but a nice-to-have to reduce javascript)

I suspect the extra support from Microsoft is bearing fruit for Chromium now.

3 Likes

I have enabled the TC and the sidecar plugin on krita-artists.org. And sometimes when I go back to home page by clicking on the logo the top row of featured image doesnā€™t show up. I have to reload to make it appear. I am using firefox.

1 Like

Working for me on your site. But Iā€™m an anonymous user.

Cannot repro on my test sites either.

Do you see an error in the console?

1 Like

There is no message or error in console. Yes this happens when I am logged in. To reproduce it I go a topic from the landing page and then come back to the landing page by clicking on the logo. If do a soft reload then the featured image appears.

1 Like

Still cannot reproduce.

1. Opened Firefox
  2. Navigated to your site
  3. Created an account
  4. Went to a Topic
  5. Hit the logo
  6. Categories page opens and Featured Images load.
1 Like