Topic owner got 20 notification emails while offline

(Hosein Naseri) #1

One of my users complained about getting too many notification emails for one topic that they created. Nearly 20 emails were sent. How can I optimize this behavior? I think maybe one email per topic is enough.

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #2

By default, when a user creates a topic, they are set to “watch” the topic. As such, they receive notifications for all replies to the topic, which send emails after 10 minutes if the user is offline.

Most of the time, when a user creates a topic it is assumed they care about the replies. If this is not the case, the user should be change their notification level for the topic after submitting it.

(Hosein Naseri) #3

Yes you’re absolutely right. But on the other hand 20 emails is too much. And we cant expect an ordinary user to understand how to manage the number of emails they get.

Now I want to have extra control on this. How can I limit the number of emails users get when their watching topics.

Specifically there are two options that I want to know how they affect the number of email users receive.

1- email time window mins
2- email posts context

Let me give an example. If I set the first one as 2 hours and the next one as 10. Now lets say when user posts the topic, they go offline and the topic has 11 posts in the first 2 hours. How many notification is sent?

(Steve Combs) #4

Neither of those settings will reduce the number of emails sent.

This setting determines how long a user has to edit their post prior to sending the email

This setting determines how many previous emails are included in each email that is sent.

(Hosein Naseri) #5

So there is nothing can be done for reducing the emails?

(Felix Freiberger) #6

There is a nuclear option, the site setting max emails per day per user. But I absolutely would recommend against it because users have no way to override this.

I’d highly recommend that instead, you educate your users about the options they have to manage their notification levels and settings themselves, as @jomaxro suggested.

(Hosein Naseri) #7

If I enable this option, what happens for extra emails? Would it be cancelled or scheduled for tomorrow?

(Felix Freiberger) #8

Any additional mails will be dropped. Only critical mails like password resets are exempt from that rule. Users cannot override that setting.

(Hosein Naseri) #9

Cool. I’m going to use it anyways. Although I think admins should have more controls over notification emails.