Topics from suppressed categories from the homepage are still shown in the latest

(Pad Pors) #1

this happens when the latest is not the set as the homepage. is it a bug or does it meant to be like this?

if it’s going to be like this, is there a simple way to have the category page as the homepage, and suppress some categories from the latest page?

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #2

Can you post a screenshot of what you mean?

The point of a “muted” category is that it won’t show up in Latest and you’ll not receive any notifications from it. But it won’t outright hide it from places like the Categories view or the category selector in the editor.

(Mittineague) #3

On my localhost install MuterGuy1 is Tracking the Plugin Testing category and Muting all the other categories.

As a general rule, he doesn’t see topics that are in the Muted categories unless he is tracking or watching the Topic.

That is, for him, the Latest page shows both the Category and the Topics that he is interested in seeing.

(Pad Pors) #4

not muting, but suppressing the category from homepage:

e.g. we have a category named “invitation to edit”, and topics which needs some edit are pushed there. and we don’t want to show those topics in the latest topics until they get edited.

so we use this option in the category setting:

then if we set the category page as our homepage, those topics are shown in the latest.
but if we set the latest as our homepage, topics are not shown.

In fact it’s working as it’s saying, since in the first case our homepage is not the latest page.

but the only place you usually want to suppress a category is from the latest page; and not the category page itself.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #5

Aha. I misunderstood, but I see what you mean now. Yes, technically it works exactly as advertised. But I can see how this is confusing.

Maybe we should change it to Suppress this category from Latest view ?