Topics older than auto-close age should auto-close

(Tim) #1

After turning on auto-close, only posts created after setting the auto-close time will be auto-closed. Even if someone drags up an ancient post with a new reply, it doesn’t have the auto-close notice at the bottom of the page. I was hoping that there would be a nightly job or something to look for topics past the auto-close time that are still open, and then close them.

Is anyone aware of a workaround for my issue? Is there some command I can run to close topics that are older than the configured auto-close time? I’m not to keen on closing a year of posts manually.

This was reported as a bug here, but the fix submitted by @tgxworld did not address this issue. I am running v1.8.0 and am still seeing this issue.

(David Taylor) #2

I think this is probably by design rather than a bug. You can follow the instructions here to close old topics manually:

(Tim) #3

I’d argue that having an auto-close setting should in fact auto-close any posts that meet the conditions of the setting, but I appreciate the workaround. That looks like it should do what I need. Thanks!

(Dave McClure) #4

I just ran into this as well, and found it surprising.

Now I’m curious, what happens in these cases:

Unset topic setting

1. update category setting to close topics 1 year after last reply
  2. create new topic in category
  3. unset setting to auto-close topic

Is that topic still set to auto-close after one year?

Update topic setting

1. update category setting to close topics 1 year after last reply
  2. create new topic in category
  3. change setting to auto-close topic 6 months after last reply

Is that topic still set to auto-close after one year? Or will it now auto-close 6 months after the last reply?

(Sam Saffron) #5

I think the setting does and should only apply going forward to new topics (someone should confirm), mucking with history is going to be a nightmare.

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #6

See @gerhard’s new #howto on this subject:

(Dave McClure) #7

If the decision is due to implementation complexity, that’s fair enough, but I still find it surprising from a user perspective. Maybe a simple copy edit could help?

Appreciate the how to for old topics… Will need to get help from someone with console access in this case…

(Tim) #8

It would be awesome to build this in as a function in the admin UI so you can do this without console access. Getting console access to production servers can be pretty painful in some environments.

(Sam Saffron) #9

I would love that, @codinghorror perhaps you can add something?

The issue is around having a UI that can apply a change to potentially hundreds of thousands of topics. It is high risk recovering from such a change made by mistake could be enormous amounts of pain.

(Jeff Atwood) #10

Where is this copy exactly?

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #11

Category edit settings tab if I understand correctly.

(Dave McClure) #12

Yeah, I think the two settings below could make it more clear that they will not have any impact on existing topics: