Transifex team membership approvals too slow?

(Waldir Pimenta) #1

I applied several days ago to become a member of the Portuguese translation team at Transifex but so far nobody accepted my request. This is very discouraging.

In fact, why does it have to be such a gated process anyway? As a contributor, I just want to instantly start submitting translations, not wait for some higher power to somehow(?) deem me worthy and grant me the privilege(!) of offering my time and effort to a community project.

Is there a way to configure the Discourse Transifex project to automatically accept team memberships? QA can be effected at the review stage, as it should be. For instance, currently the Portuguese team only has coordinators – no reviewers, and no translators(!!). Access to the translator status should be approval-free, IMO.

Barring that, could someone with the proper permissions at least approve my application? I don’t know who to notify, but I’ll try @camilohollanda.

(Neil Lalonde) #2

I don’t see an option to allow automatic approval of translators. Maybe it’s there, but I don’t see it. I’m not in charge of the pt_PT team, so I can’t approve you. It’s disappointing that there are so many maintainers of that team, but none of them have responded to you.

If it’s a dead team, we should deal with it somehow. Assign a new maintainer? If that’s not possible, delete it and start a new one?

(Jeff Atwood) #3

Can we contract Transifex about this? We should be able to override there.

(glezos) #4

Discourse dashboard → Teams → Discourse team → Gear icon → “Automatically accept requests from translators to join your team”

(Jeff Atwood) #5

Problem is it is @camilohollanda’s “org” and I have no permissions there.

See screenshot:

(Jeff Atwood) #6

Ok cool I have permissions now but I still see no “Automatically accept requests from translators” there, @glezos?

(Camilo Hollanda) #7

Sorry friends by the late, I live in Brazil and sometimes we cannot count
on internet,
@codinghorror I gave permission to approve translators to you,
And I can also transfer full project to you,
to do this I need to know your “organization” name at transifex

(Jeff Atwood) #8

That is great! Thank you! Please transfer to this org

(glezos) #9

Once the org is transferred everything should be OK.

(Jeff Atwood) #10

Yes, it was transferred and I was finally able to check the auto accept box. Thanks @camilohollanda!

(Sander Datema) #11

Well… in transferring the organization something got lost as well: for example, I’m totally out of the project now. I’ll add myself as translator again, but would like to get my review permissions (for Dutch) back.

Edit: this almost looks like a bug on Transifex’s side: I’m still mentioned as a manager in the project, but I’m no longer so. Another thing: I can send PM’s to myself? Doesn’t look good…

(Waldir Pimenta) #12

Yup, indeed the transfer somehow seems to have created duplicate teams. Maybe just the translations were transfered?

If an actual team ownership transfer had taken place, I’d expect the old url to redirect to the new one, but that’s not the case. Nor was anyone from the old team transferred, so the new team was empty. I joined now, and was automatically accepted as a translator, but reviewers and possibly coordinators (not sure what the need for the latter is, depends on the permissions) will eventually need to be appointed.

This issue of incomplete team transfer should definitely be reported upstream.

(Sander Datema) #13

Who can reinstate the managers of the languages? I suppose this is @codinghorror (I asked already, but didn’t get a reply within 5 minutes ;)).

Just want to get going with (in this case) the Dutch translation.

(Erick Guan) #14

I just notice what happened in the Transifex… And I still need review permission. Besides, there is no way to join Chinese Taiwan team.

@codinghorror Please just delete Chinese variants other than zh_CN and zh_TW. Since we are not release yet, can we just rename them? zh_CN -> zh_hans, zh_TW -> zh_hant. There is no need to translate so many language variants for Chinese, only simplified and traditional version is enough. It’s what we did for MediaWiki.

(Jeff Atwood) #15

@techapj can you please assist here with Transifex?

(Arpit Jalan) #16

Okay, the Chinese languages other than zh_CN and zh_TW are deleted now.

(Arpit Jalan) #17

Gave you the review permissions and added you to Chinese Taiwan team.

(Jeff Atwood) #18

Please see

For future reference.

(Jeff Atwood) #19