Translating Bosnian

(Tomo Vukasović) #1

How to use translation from Transifex as each string is translated (0% right now). With so much on my daily routine I have no time to sit down and translate Discourse all at once (or any good percentage). Is there possibility that I can start Bosnian translation and pull the language on weekly basis? I will slowly gather people to help me with translations.

I need basic translation urgently for some very specific things and I can’t promote my community in English language. I am done playing with console and vi editor. Plus after each rebuild everything has to be repeated.

Bosnian, Serbian, Croatian and Montenegrin are 4 extremely similar languages and they could be called:

However, it is not politically correct so I am assuming that we will have 3-4 languages that will always stay unfinished.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

The definitive guide is here:

(Tomo Vukasović) #3

Red it several times. Is this still correct:

I tried to translate Bosnian under Transifex, but it says I am not part of the Bosnian team.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

@techAPJ can add you to the Bosnian team.

(Arpit Jalan) #5

What’s your Transifex username?

(Tomo Vukasović) #6

Ok I am in. Thanks.

How much of translation do we need to get done before it can be used in our instance?

(Marco) #7

Even1% can be used, I think. With each Discourse update you get your translation in your local installation.
Please correct me if I’m wrong.

(Tomo Vukasović) #8

I guess we have to try to know :smile:

(Tomo Vukasović) #9

I am bit confused how to to add Bosnian to my instance. This sounds bit hard to implement:

(Tomo Vukasović) #10

I guess silence means…go for it :smile:

It would be nice to get at least some confirmation that this is the way to pull “unfinished” translation from Transifex.

(Arpit Jalan) #11

Yes, to add a new language from Transifex you need to follow:

Here’s an example PR to add a new language following above howto:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/2677

Thanks for contributing translations!

(Tomo Vukasović) #12

@techAPJ Can you please clarify this process for me. I have to create these files in my discourse instance. Since SFTP is not possible these have to be added manually one by one, by copy pasting file contents and creating new files with appropriate language code.

(Arpit Jalan) #13

I would recommend to set up a local development environment, following:

or

and then add the translation files, and check if the translations are working fine.

(Tomo Vukasović) #14

Current instance that I am running is still under development. I have backups so I am not to worried if things are not working. My main issue as I noted in earlier post is the creation of these translation files since I ma not Linux guru. I believe that this process needs to be simplified, but this is just my opinion.

(Tomo Vukasović) #15

I have translated good amount for frontend (Bosnian).

Let me know if you can get this on transifex maybe someone will have use for it. I have little time to work on Discourse, but I will continue translating and probably do other languages since they are very similar (Croatian and Serbian). The issue is that I translated it directly in the yml file. If you can convert it into transifex then even better. I am already editor in Transifex, but again I am not sure how to upload file as it is.

Thanks!