Translations for Discourse default texts (i.e. "welcome", "faq", "terms of service")

Continuing the discussion from Italian translators, please read:

It would be useful to have the translations of every messages that Discourse has for default, for example “Welcome to Discourse”, “terms of service”, “faq/guidelines”, “privacy”.
I suppose that someone has already translated it in italian (maybe @vulkanino?), it would be fantastic to share your translations!

There is one default message that I don’t understand how to modify: the private welcome message to new users… in this case too, it would be great to have an italian translation, it is very long!

(Marco) #2

The problem with long text sources is that when the source string changes, even for minimal changes, the whole translation is invalidated and we have to start all over again.

For example the welcome message that starts with: “Here are a few quick tips to get you started:”[…] has been translated into Italian 14 times already, and now it’s been invalidated again and it currently stands untranslated. It’s a problem, because the translator has to take into account both the source text and the previous translation, so he should work with three documents open. So we as translators decided to leave those long texts untranslated until they’ll be more stable, if ever.

So, anyway, if I want to translate it, I have to translate it on transifex? And every time source text changes i’ll have to translate again?
(can you give me the link to help for the italian translation project?)

Thank you very much!

(Marco) #4

No, you can customize your own texts:
http://yourdomain/admin/customize/site_texts

But when a new version arrives, I’m afraid the text is overwritten (not sure).

(Daniela) #5

@vulkanino is right when he said:[quote=“vulkanino, post:2, topic:36964”]
The problem with long text sources is that when the source string changes, even for minimal changes, the whole translation is invalidated and we have to start all over again.
[/quote]

for now, using the customize text I lost my “welcome” translation during the last update.

For these threads in particular I prefer to copy and paste the original text into a new topic in the category staff, do the translation and after copy and paste the translation into the original topic

In this way the translation is save and if we lose it we just copy it back.

When the customize text is more stable we make the long translation here.