Trigger Digest-Emails manually

(Michael) #1

Is it possible to trigger the Digest-Mails manually?
I have a really important post that my visitors should read asap. I could not find an information about that.

Thanks,
Michael

(Kane York) #2

Before even starting to do that, I suggest – no, demand – you first go over this checklist:

• Is the announcement topic pinned uncategorized, so it is at the top of the topic list?
  • Does it show up in the digest email? Check this at https://forum.example.com/admin/email/preview-digest
  • Does everybody who has ever signed up for your forum (Remember: Discourse provides some great benefits for people who sign up but never post!) need to know this?

This is for the protection of both you and your users. You don’t want to be labeled as a spammer - that will get you sanctions from Mandrill; and your users (Including ones who never posted!) don’t always want lots of email.

Please reply if you’ve verified all of this. Note that something like a database compromise will most likely warrant doing this.

(Michael) #3

Thanks for your reply.

In fact, you are right. The system has not been compromised or something like that.

In my situation its maybe better to let the auto-mailer do its job. Just because an information is important for me doesn’t necessarily mean its for my users too. In the end I don’t want to annoy anyone.

I guess that an option for this is explicitly not included or at least shown in the interface, because of the reasons you mentioned.

On the other hand it would be nice to know that for a future catastrophic event.

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #4

I use our install of discourse to inform our subscribers of important news about our product. There are a number of cases when I too would want a post to go out immediately.

Wasn’t there something like this by putting everyone in a group, then @ mentioning the group?

(Jeff Atwood) #5

I am really not sure it is appropriate to use a discussion area as an email spam blasting tool.

It could make sense to harvest the emails of your customers and sign up for mailchimp or another email marketing newsletter service. Then they can opt out of it without turning off all discussion notifications.

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #6

Why is it OK to label that the message I want to send is spam?

Our community is for people to who pay to be a part of our service, and sometimes there’s urgent news they should be aware of.

The benefits of sending it from the community is that people who choose to comment or reply can do so where others benefits (via their pre-defined emails preferences) whereas if I were to send the notice via mailchimp, all the replies would either come to me or start new threads in the community.

Far better to post a central notice & let the related discussion happen as normal.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

Oh, my apologies. If it is a service they pay for, not the typical public discussion area that Discourse is used for, that’s a different thing. Agreed.

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #8

Yeah… and I know that discourse can’t be all things to all people, but it sure is the best discussion platform I’ve come across.