Troubleshooting automatic promotion to trust level 1

(Tobias Eigen) #1

I’m trying to troubleshoot what’s happening with new members who sign up and who appear not to be getting promoted to trust level 1 when they meet the requirements. As far as I can tell this user account I created and used to click around the site has met the requirements - see screenshots below.

I am doing this test because I see there are many members who seem to be languishing at tl0, and am considering changing the requirements to make them a bit more relaxed.

I’d appreciate any guidance. :seedling:

(Tobias Eigen) #2

OK my test user has now been promoted to tl1 - but that took an hour or so since meeting the requirements. Is it done via a scheduled task?

Generally speaking should we be more generous with tl1 promotion? What’s the general practice out there?

(cpradio) #3

Yes, it is a Sidekiq job that performs this task.

At Sitepoint, I think we kept it at the defaults and that seems to continue to work well for us.

(Mittineague) #4

I think a lot would depend on your situation.

Are there usually a lot of Moderators logged in?
A lot of active TL3 members?

Making it easier for legit members also makes it easier for new baddies to get past the “one TL3 Spam Flag to Hide”.

Are most of your members OK with the “extras” TL1 brings or does it add too much too soon? Do most members often need the goodies before they learn their way around a bit?