Troubleshooting failed onebox links

Uh oh - oneboxing seems to be partially broken!

Londonist used to onebox - not anymore:

Yet other sites e.g. BBC, do still work.

Start a topic by pasting a link (like Reddit)
(Jeff Atwood) #2

Pubs in Victoria Park – per Iframely URL Debugger - Open Graph, Twitter Cards, oEmbed this is missing summary text so it will not onebox.

Thanks for debugging that link @codinghorror - I think I raised a false alarm in this case, as I’d picked out a Londonist summary page as opposed to a Londonist blog post (the latter work just fine with Onebox).

However, there was another link I wanted to share today, which stubbornly refuses to Onebox:

I checked the link on Iframely, and Iframely resolves a title, description and thumbnail:

(Jeff Atwood) #4

Nope that is super messed up. Look again at the iframely tabs. There is zero summary. Just a mass of JavaScript and HTML in the HTML field.

You should contact this site and ask them to get their :ship: together…

Agreed, they won’t score any points for their oEmbed support. But nonetheless, other sites like Facebook do find a summary in this page somehow (and the first tab of iframely shows one too)?

Emailing every website that stubbornly refuses to cooperate with our current Onebox implementation?.. if only I had the millenia to spare! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Jeff Atwood) #6

Lol NOPE, just ask them to properly support the global oembed or opengraph standards. If that is too much to ask, then it’s not my problem.