Insufficient trust level to connect here via the mobile app?

And comes back with Sorry, you do not have the required trust level to access the user API

Appreciate your help in understanding how I can post to the web version, but not be trusted to connect via my phone?

Thanks in advance

This is because you have not yet reached “trust level 1”

In the admin panel, you can change the setting min trust level for user api key to 0 if you want everyone to be able to use the app.

1 Like

Many thanks David, Very helpful

I would suggest that Discourse Admin do this!

Or tweaks the trust level 1 setting. See my suggestion below
Basic (1)

If a user sticks around long enough to read a bit, Discourse now trusts them as a basic user.

They can get to trust level 1 by…

entering at least 1 topics
reading at least 5 posts
spend a total of 10 minutes reading posts
Admins can change these thresholds in…

basic_requires_topic_entered
basic_requires_read_posts
basic_requires_time_spent_mins
Users at trust level 1 can…

use all core Discourse functions
Upload images and attachments if enabled
Edit wiki posts
Flag posts
have all new user restrictions removed

Beware, if you change TL1 levels you become extremely vulnerable to spammers. I strongly recommend you do not do that.

We won’t be doing it here for that reason, as well.

I guess it is mostly safe to allow API keys for new users? But this means spammers can sign up, and get an API user key as well. @sam in your professional opinion how risky is it for a site owner to allow API user keys for TL0 users?

Not that risky, the protocol is quite involved in getting a key, if you can script that you can easily script spamming the site elsewise.

3 Likes

Thanks Jeff and Sam for taking the time to respond

Not sure if I made it clear, I am trying to connect to meta.discourse on my iPhone via the app (using my Twitter account) and getting the Sorry, you do not have the required trust level.

Yet I can log in to the web version (using same Twitter account)… and post away.

Apologies for being a non techie, but I do not get the inconsistency between the web level of trust and the app level of trust??

Sure, then you will need to achieve TL1 here, just read a bit more.

2 Likes

Read some more…and here I am posting from the iPhone-:slight_smile:

Thanks your help
We will be installing Discourse for our Long Form discussion

3 Likes