The discussion revolves around the WP Discourse Plugin’s “Show Full Post” button and how to disable it. jamesmarkcook initially asked if it’s possible to turn off this feature, citing reasons such as incorrect display of Visual Composer-built posts in Discourse and a preference for users to visit their WordPress site instead.
It was suggested that disabling the “embed truncate” setting on Discourse would remove the button simon. However, this raised concerns about truncating future articles. simon clarified that this setting doesn’t affect what is being published to Discourse from the WP Discourse plugin, and that excerpts will still be sent to Discourse as long as the “Use full post content” setting is not enabled on WordPress.
The discussion also highlighted issues with the “Show Full Post” button displaying incorrect content, such as a privacy policy or legal lines from a website’s footer tobiaseigen and pakl. There were suggestions to improve the help copy for the “embed truncate” setting to include keywords like “show full post” codinghorror and tobiaseigen.
Later, cosdesign asked for a solution to remove the “Show Full Post” button and instead display a link to their article. angus suggested disabling “Use Full Post Content” in WP Discourse publishing settings and “embed truncate” in Discourse site settings, which would send excerpts to Discourse and display a link back to the WordPress post without the “Show Full Post” button. cosdesign confirmed that this solution worked and also discovered that the “Originally published at” text can be customized in the Discourse WP plugin.
There is an option to show the full post instead of an excerpt. However there doesn’t appear to be an option to remove the Show Full Post button when you are only displaying the excerpt.
No, the setting is a little confusing, Disabling ‘embed truncate’ on Discourse has no effect on what is being published to Discourse from the wp-discourse plugin. As long as the ‘Use full post content’ setting is not enabled on WordPress, only excerpts of your posts will be sent to Discourse.
If you’d like to set the content of the post excerpt on WordPress, make sure that ‘Excerpt’ is enabled under ‘Screen Options’ on the WordPress post-new page. You can then add the content that you would like to be published to Discourse to the ‘Excerpt’ meta-box on that page.
I just fell prey to this myself. The “show full post” button on my site decided to show the privacy policy from my site, and not the full post. So I had to disable it. I went to search admin settings for “show full post” but it is not included in the helper text so shows no result. I had to come back to this post to get the answer. Thanks, @simon!
So.. agreeing with @codinghorror that the help copy should be improved, at least to include the keywords “show full post”. For the rest I don’t fully understand how this functionality works and will leave it off on my site for the time being.
Just adding to this, since I just had nearly the same experience. The show full post button on our site also displayed only the legal lines of the footer from our website, nothing else. Without this topic, I would not have found how to get rid of the button.
Yes, I think there should be an option to disable this behaviour on the WordPress end, without having to unselect the ‘embed truncate’ setting on Discourse.
If the plugin doesn’t send the embed_url to Discourse when it publishes a post, then the Show Full Post button won’t show up on Discourse.
Still no solution to this? Just like OP requested, I don’t want people to see the full post on Discourse. Instead, I would like the button to include the link to my article so I can send them there if clicked. Is this possible?
Hey Angus, thanks for your quick reply. Yeah, the embed truncate option indeed removed the button, thanks!
In addition to this, we can rename the “Originally published at” into anything you want (I typed “Read the full guide at:”) by going to the Discourse wp plugin > Text Content tab. Awesome