Unable to add existing users to private message with SSO enabled

(Dean Taylor) #1

When SSO is enabled the ability to Invite Others... is removed from private message topics.

This should not occur - it should only limit the ability to invite via email adding users that exist already should not be prevented.

The Invite Others... button exists here when SSO is disabled.

#Steps to Reproduce

1. Enable SSO
  2. Visit existing PM

#Actual Results
Invite Others... button is missing.

#Expected Results
Invite Others... to exist and when dialog is displayed only allow input of existing usernames / email addresses - prompting the user with a message if the user doesn’t already exist in the system.

#Related post
Possible duplicate of this post - but the previous post is not explicit regarding SSO in it’s initial post - nor that it is a bug.

Invite existing user to a topic
Add users to topic in private category
Missing "Invite Others..." button in PM
(Dean Taylor) #2

@sam do you know if this Invite Others... button being missing also affects the API?

I’m thinking of implementing an external invite solution.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

Recategorizing as feature request. Intent of invite is always invite someone external to the system via email who does not yet have an account, so you are scoping it to something that the design never intended.

(Kane York) #4

Except that for PMs, it does also work as the method to add others to a PM.

Perhaps for private messages, it should be moved wholesale to the second use-case, and not function as a “invite a new user to the forum” button at all? It’s certainly what the current UI seems to suggest.

(Jeff Atwood) #5

Oh, you’re right, I misread this a bit.

For PMs I guess the behavior is a bit indeterminate. We do allow people to invite externally, which … eh… I don’t think we should. So I guess the use case is:

• for PMs - only invite an existing user

• for regular posts - only invite outsiders

Invite has a different meaning when the invite comes from a private space vs. a public place.

(Kane York) #6

And maybe this is the chance to finally add the “invite a group to a PM” feature that has been missing from the UI for so long. Of course, only usable by those who can “use the group as an alias”.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

Anyway @DeanMarkTaylor you are right, if PM stops allowing external invites it could be enabled on PMs for SSO.

(Sam Saffron) #8

The PM invite dialog and a bunch of internals need to change for this, I want to get it done its just not a trivial change.

(cz) #9

Any plan to implement the pm invite feature? Thanks

(Sam Saffron) #10

plenty plan, have not had a chance to build it yet

(Martin Duparc) #11

Related to this issue. When SSO is enabled, Discourse still show the Send Invites button on the Users admin page (/admin/users/list/active). Clicking it will display an empty page (/users/adminusername/invited)

(Jeff Atwood) #12

This is technically your bug @techapj we need to unify the logic check there.

(Sam Saffron) #13

Its a very complicated change, would probably take me half a day.

(Jeff Atwood) #14

Probably ok to dupe the logic in that case then, if we do not have a global place to see if invites are allowed or not.

Missing "Invite Others..." button in PM
(Sam Saffron) #15

that dialog is quite old and very prone to bugs, it needs a cleanup, uneasy duplicating the already duplicated dialog (that would make for 4 way duplication)

(Jeff Atwood) #16

Ok then @eviltrout you should take this as refactoring and paying down a bit of technical debt.

(Sam Saffron) #17

Fixed per @techAPJ recent round of invite fixes :slight_smile:

(Sam Saffron) #18