Unable to authenticate with Discourse credentials via console

(Carl V. Lewis) #1

Hi there!

I’ve deployed Discourse using Digital Ocean, and am trying to get https/SSL up and running. But when I go to access the Droplet via Digital Ocean’s virtual console and it asks me to authenticate with forum login, my forum admin credentials do not work after repeated tries.

Perhaps I’m missing something obvious, but is there any reason why this might be happening when accessing the install via SSH? Is there a separate forum login set of credentials that I’m overlooking that I need to use?

All I’ve set is the admin username and password when I inititally configured the forum. I can’t think of what else it might possibly be.

(Matt Palmer) #2

The system login is completely detached from the forum login, for very good reasons (you don’t want a compromised password on one to automatically hand up the other). You should have setup system credentials (preferably an SSH keypair) when the droplet was installed, and you should use those to gain access via SSH. The virtual console is a last-ditch access method, and will only work if there’s a password set on the system account (rather than an SSH keypair).

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #3

The admin password isn’t set during the initial configuration, only SMTP.

Were you able to get an email from the forum & confirm your login? If not, look for errors in the logs, or in your browser’s console, and see if maybe this is the same as my problem here.

(Jay Pfaffman) #4

Wait. You logged in there to do the install. You log in now the same way you did before the install.

(Jay Pfaffman) #5

If you are a person who doesn’t know what an ssh key pair is, then the console is a fine way to access the shell. It’s safe, as it requires two logins (digital ocean plus the host). I create droplets for my install customers with my key, which automatically disables password logins. Not one install customer has asked why they cannot log in via ssh. (My instructions include that information, but I’m not convinced that everyone has read them and then logged in via the console.) :wink: