Unable to Modify Email Sent Out Via Invites

(Utkarsh Agarwal) #1

So after exploring this forum and the files i finally found the server.en.yml file where the invite email text is stored. I just want to add 1-2 lines describing a bit more about my forum in the email sent out to invited users.

Despite adding/modifying the lines into server.en.yml and rebuilding, it doesn’t seem to reflect in the emails. Any ideas/suggestions?

Or is there an easier way to do this that i missed?

Customize all text in Discourse
(Jeff Atwood) #2

The easier way is to update the “site description” field, which is included in the invite.

Also, if you invite users to a specific topic (via the invite button at the bottom), a summary of the first post in the topic will be included.

(Utkarsh Agarwal) #3

I did think of that but the description isn’t serving the purpose. Is the description used elsewhere as we will?

Secondly we’re trying to build a community of somewhat high profile people. So sending them a generic invite is going to be very difficult to get them on board. If not a personalized message, at least a much more descriptive invite will have to do.

So would be great if the message can be customized.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

There is a way to build invite URLs. Perhaps we could expose that URL on the invite dialog @techapj and then people who want to copy and paste the invite URL into a custom email could do that? (Limited to TL2 and staff of course).

(Utkarsh Agarwal) #5

That might work for the time being.

@codinghorror Can you meanwhile guide me on how to get Discourse to use the modified server.en.yml file? I’ve done the modification to the email text in there already. Don’t mind if i have to repeat the same modification later on after updates. Need to get this working for the time being.

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #6

@utkarsh42

The bulk of this can be done now. See

For anything else you want to customize, there’s this.

Update: For updating all text, you’d probably prefer this:

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #7