Unable to upgrade Discourse or plugins, can't view error log

(Daniel Marquard) #1

After I rebuilt our Discourse last night, I’m unable to upgrade Discourse or plugins from /admin/upgrade. Here’s the console error I get when clicking the “Start Upgrading” button, which briefly toggles to gray before reverting back to blue:

I’m not able to check the error log, because some of the resources (correctly referencing our subdirectory) return 404.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Please SSH into your server and run:

cd /var/discourse
git pull
./launcher rebuild app

(Daniel Marquard) #3

OK, just did this. Both problems remain. :confused:

(Jeff Atwood) #4

Did you try safe mode?

(Daniel Marquard) #5

I didn’t (didn’t know about it until now). After disabling everything in safe mode, the error log still does not load.

For safe mode to stay in effect, I can’t manually navigate to /admin/upgrade in the browser bar, correct? If that’s how it works, I’m not sure of another way to get to that upgrade page to test without manually navigating. Is there a link to that page somewhere in the admin panel?

(Jeff Atwood) #6

If safe mode does not work, you have a plugin that is incompatible on the server-side; disable all third-party plugins and rebuild via command line.

(you do not need to go to the web upgrade page, if you are upgrading via command line…)

(Daniel Marquard) #7

OK, I’ll give that a shot tomorrow. Thanks!

(cpradio) #8

But plugins really shouldn’t be impacting /admin/upgrade as that runs the docker_manager app. And that app doesn’t load any plugins (to my knowledge).

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #9

Looks like you’re running a subfolder install. Duplicate of:
https://meta.discourse.org/t/subfolder-issues/53972/27?u=jomaxro

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #10

@DanielMarquard you should try again, @neil just pushed a fix:

(Daniel Marquard) #11

I just saw that in the topic you linked. :slight_smile: I will give it a shot at a time when I can take our website offline.

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #12

The benefit of running an internal-only forum - I just tell people it’s going down for 2 minutes and they deal with it :wink:!