Uncategorised topics does not show up in latest on front page

(Henti Smith) #1

Running Discourse 1.8.5 - GitHub - discourse/discourse: A platform for community discussion. Free, open, simple. version 3982a8ef30d6b7fb9cdf4d4b6c2d590175dfe925

Topics that are uncategorized does not show up on the front page under “Latest”, however does show up in the /latest page. This used to work correctly in previous version.

Regards
Henti

(cpradio) #2

Works here on Meta… there are several Uncategorized topics on Latest.

Can you be more specific? Maybe a screenshot, as it is hard to decipher under “front page under Latest” and /latest

(Sam Saffron) #3

Have you changed category settings to hide it, have you disabled uncategorised in site settings

(Henti Smith) #4

I’ll post images for clarity, but we’ve opted to disable “allow uncategorized topics” in site settings.

Our front-page after updating to latest stable.

The latest page on the same site shows my test topic as well as another without any category.

Regards
Henti

(Sam Saffron) #5

Re enable uncategorised then, give it a better name

(Jay Pfaffman) #6

If you’ve disabled allowing uncategorized topics, why would you want uncategorized topics to be displayed?

Maybe move those topics to another category?

(Henti Smith) #7

I merely stated we changed configuration instead of trying to fix the problem, and the problem still existed as explained and the images are there for clarity.

(Sam Saffron) #8

disable_uncategorized is site setting we plan to remove. It is a mess and only caused problems from day 1.

(Jay Pfaffman) #9

I was just thinking that. I think my solution would be to remove uncategorized. It’s confusing that looks like a category, but isn’t. And then, if you rename it, it’s even more confusing.

A better solution (not that I’ve thought about it as much as you) might be to be able to set a plain old category as the default.

(Sam Saffron) #10

The problem is that we need to deal with history and all existing forums so we need a migration strategy.

(Jay Pfaffman) #11

Yeah. I didn’t want to think about that, though. :slight_smile:

I’m not sure how to deal with the history part, but not having a not-category (uncategorized) seems much less confusing than requiring everyone to have it.

(Jeff Atwood) #12

I’m a pretty big fan of not forcing categorization on everything, so that’s unlikely to happen. Not everything needs a category.

(Jay Pfaffman) #13

I get that, except “uncategorized” pretty much functions as a special category, doesn’t it?

(cpradio) #14

I was under the impression @pfaffman was suggesting to convert uncategorized to an actual physical category, so it didn’t require “special” logic anymore. Then those that didn’t want it, could delete it, or rename it, or what-have-you with less confusion happening later on when issues arise.

(Jeff Atwood) #15

I thought that’s pretty much how it already worked @sam? We paid the tech debt for that bit a while ago.