"uncategorized" shows on category list even when badge suppressed

(Tobias Eigen) #1

I don’t want to try to think up a clever “general” or “miscellaneous” or “everything else” category name - but do like the idea of people being able to add a topic without category, to be categorized later or not as the case may be.

So I really appreciate the ability to suppress the uncategorized badge so it doesn’t show up in topic lists.

However on the category list, it does still show up as “uncategorized”. I’d like it to not show up at all.

Can I limit the number of categories in the drop down menu?
(Dean Taylor) #2

When you say “topic lists” I assume this means “category lists” (because that’s what your screen grab includes)?

Can’t you use CSS to remove it on the category list page?

/* Remove from hamburger menu - we know it is the first child after the "all" item */
.category-links li:nth-of-type(2) {
   display: none;
}

/* Remove from categories list page - uncategorized has id of "1" */
.categories-list .topic-list.categories tr[data-category_id="1"] {
}

(Tobias Eigen) #3

Thanks, Dean! Yes, I mean the category list. I tried your CSS - thanks for providing it! But that hides the whole category and the topics - I just want the name and description to be hidden. The left column on my screenshot.

(Dean Taylor) #4

In that case - something like this:

/* Remove from hamburger menu - we know it is the first child after the "all" item */
.category-links li:nth-of-type(2) {
}

/* Remove the name ans description from categories list page - uncategorized has id of "1" */
.categories-list .topic-list.categories tr[data-category_id="1"] .category-name,
.categories-list .topic-list.categories tr[data-category_id="1"] .category-description  {
}

(Tobias Eigen) #5

that did it! thanks so much.

(Sam Saffron) #6

If you have it disabled, first shift EVERY topic out of it, otherwise there be dragons

(Itzik Arzoni) #7

It was very helpful to me, thank you.

“suppress uncategorized badge” removes it from topic lists, but an icon still appear in the Categories section of the Hamburger Icon List. Is there any way to remove it from there? Thanks.

Tried CSS but not seeing a good way to pull it out from the other badges.

Ahh got it: ul.category-links.clearfix { li:nth-child(2) { display: none; } }

(Sebastian) #9

I saw that warning in the settings and want to ask something about this. Currently, I have this and it looks bad:

So once I disable it, what will happen to people unsure of where they put their new topic into, is there a way to define some other default category as a fall back option? I understand the general necessity or at least charm, as Tobias said as well, but having an empty category listed “just in case”, is not optimal either

(Mittineague) #10

Sorry, but “looks bad” means little to me.

What would be very helpful is knowing what differences you envision that you would consider improvement.

For example:
essentially gone and undiscoverable
not visible in various area
visible but staff only topic creates
etc. etc. what ever you had in mind

* mockups are often a big help with identifying issues

(Sebastian) #11

You are right. I think the best option would be a setting “hide if empty”

(Mittineague) #12

If you change the allow_uncategorized_topics setting from true to false does that do it for you?

(Sebastian) #13

but that goes back to my earlier question: if I do that, what’s the default category for newcomers who aren’t sure about where to post?

(Mittineague) #14

It defaults to whatever category they’re in when they start the topic if they are in a category. Else they get a “select a category” drop down select.