Under Construction Page during Maintenance?

(Keith) #1

I’ve been using DigitalOcean’s awesome floating IP’s to ease my maintenance process - swap the IP to a new droplet with a basic static html page, then do whatever I need to. Swap back when finished.

…and it’s been working wonderfully until tonight when I finally hooked up my SSL certificates. Now I’m unable to load my server directly through my IP (only can view discourse when I use my full domain name). So I wanted to throw this discussion out to you guys again - how should we gracefully handle site maintenance on discourse? Is there a way to allow me to still view discourse directly through the IP address?

I saw this conversation as well, but it didn’t quite go anywhere, and the use case of floating IPs wasn’t mentioned, so I thought I’d make a new topic:

(Felix Freiberger) #2

You just want yourself to be able to access your instance by IP, right?

In that case, I’d play with my hosts file to override DNS for my domain.

(Keith) #3

I’m only aware that can restrict all access, except to myself, via the host
files, but in this case, I can’t even access the IP myself- since setting
up HTTPS/ssl, browsing to the IP tries to forward to HTTPS://domainname.com,
which it can’t find.

I’m sure I’m just not understanding how DNS routing works with ssl- prior
to this I had no issues navigating my site explicitly by IP.

Is there a work around?

(Felix Freiberger) #4

Set up your hosts file so that your domain resolves to the IP you want to access, and than open this domain (not the IP) in your Browser.

(Keith) #5

I just realized that I never thanked you for this - so thank you so much for clarifying! This approach works perfectly.