Understanding context in email notifications, possible bug with OP not included

(Tobias Eigen) #1

I spent some time reading Forcing email context - input requested today but it doesn’t seem to answer my question.

I just sent out a post today to a category depending on the context being included, but it didn’t work as I expected. I have email context set to 5, and many people watching an announcements category. I wrote the first reply to a topic, and expected the OP to be included in the notification email sent out to those watching the category - but it was not. Meanwhile I can see that other posts in the same category with multiple replies do include some context (just one additional reply - not 5).

So… what’s happening here? Does the OP never get sent out, or is that a bug and it should be? Is there a logic behind only one additional reply being sent out? When do additional replies get included in email notifications?

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Doesn’t this depend on whether the user has previously read the earlier replies? Are you sure it was tested against a user who has not read the previous replies in that topic?

(Tobias Eigen) #3

That would make sense…

But I was looking in mandrill and saw there was no context for any of the recipients I looked at. It also went out very soon after the original post and I know many of the recipients are not regulars on discourse.

If it sent out the OP does that mean it will not repeat it in the next notification for the same topic? If that is the case then why was it doing it for the other post I was looking at?

(Sam Saffron) #4

Should be much simpler now: