Unexpected "redirect new users to top page"

(Adam Capriola) #1

If a new user clicks a category badge anywhere on a topic page, they get redirected to the “top page” rather than being taken to the category. That’s not supposed to happen, right?

(Jeff Atwood) #2

A new user should get the “top” page as the homepage their first time – this also applies to returning users who have been absent for a while – but it shouldn’t happen when they click on a category badge. @zogstrip ?

(Régis Hanol) #3

I just tried and could not reproduce the issue. When browsing a site as a new user and with top enabled I was never redirected to the top page whenever I clicked on a category badge in a topic page.

@AdamCapriola Would you mind trying to figure out a way to reliably reproduce it? (Do not try to reproduce on http://try.discourse.org, everyone is a basic user there)

(Adam Capriola) #4

Step 1: Create a new account on here (meta.discourse.org)
Step 2: Confirm email and click on any topic
Step 3: Click on any category badge on the topic page (even in the hamburger)
Step 4: Be redirected to “top page”

If it matters, I’m using Chrome on Mac.

(Régis Hanol) #5

I just did and tried on both FF & Chrome on Linux and Mac and it worked just fine…

(Adam Capriola) #6

Odd. This was originally reported to me by a user on my forums, and I was able to reproduce it on my forums (and then here as well).

(Jeff Atwood) #7

Are you on latest version? If you are not, you will see different behaviors…

(Adam Capriola) #8

0.9.9.3. I’m seeing it on here too though. I even went Incognito and disabled all extensions and it still happens.

Maybe it’s ghosts? :ghost:

Also I guess I should add that I think the user on my site registered through SSO, and I registered my dummy account on here directly (no third party registration). I’m not sure if this would make a difference.

(Jeff Atwood) #9