Unread and notification menu posts

(TechnoBear) #1

I’m confused by what shows up where and would be grateful for some clarification.

I’ve been away on holiday and came back to a large number of notifications, unread posts and new topics. I read all the “unread” posts - but then discovered I still had a large number of unread posts on my “notifications”. So I concluded that unread posts must show up on one or other, depending on tracking/watching status, but not both.

However, I came back later and found two “unread” and two “notifications” and yes - they’re for the same posts. So now I’m thoroughly bewildered.

Any enlightenment would be most welcome.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Really unclear what you’re talking about. Screenshots?

I also highly recommend using the Dismiss New button on /new and Dismiss Topics button on /unread.

After you’ve read what you want to read, of course.

(cpradio) #3

There are the following indicators

and…

Watching, gives you the blue indicator next to the notification icon and tracking or watching gives you the red indicator next to the topic in the topic list, right?

(TechnoBear) #4

[quote=“codinghorror, post:2, topic:20979”]
Really unclear what you’re talking about. Screenshots?
[/quote]Sorry - I was trying to be brief; obviously, I was too brief.

I read all the posts which were listed in “unread” - the list is blank. I also read all “new” topics in the categories I’m watching, and a couple of others which interested me, then used x,r to dismiss the remainder.

I thought that meant I had read all new posts/topics in the categories I’m watching, but when I looked through my notification menu, I found multiple notifications for topics I had not read/visited:

I thought there must be a difference in what appears on “new”/“unread” and what appears on the notification menu, but the next notifications which came in appeared on both.

I’m really just trying to understand how the system works.

(Jeff Atwood) #5

Oh, you’re referring to the full notification stream, e.g. “show all notifications”.

That’s something @riking added in the last month or so, and it hasn’t been fully integrated yet.

(cpradio) #6

And just for FYI, notifications are stored outside of the unread counters for topics/posts. So there is an unread “status” for a notification and there is a separate unread “status” for topics/posts.

I’m working on providing a button to clear the status for Notifications at

It actually is functional, just “unpolished” there are two pieces I want to do that just make it “cleaner”

(TechnoBear) #7

Thanks for the replies, and sorry to be dim, but what I’m really asking for is clarification as to what goes in “New”, what goes in “Unread” and what goes in “Notifications”.

I had wrongly assumed that after reading everything in “Unread” and all the relevant topics in “New” (and all “new” suggested topics, or suggested topics with unread posts) that I had caught up on all topics in my watched categories. But when I checked the notifications listing, it had a large number of relevant topics/posts which I had not read, and which were not shown in the “New” and “Unread” menus.

(cpradio) #8

@codinghorror, please correct anything I’ve mis-stated or didn’t cover :smile:

So notifications, to my knowledge, contain at least the following:
Edits to your Topic (or recategorization)
PM notifications
Mentions
Replies directly to one of your posts
Likes to your posts
Quotes from your posts

(I was also thinking there were ones dealing with inbound/outbound links, but maybe not)

New is based on your user preference setting and your muted categories (as muted categories won’t notify you of new/unread topics – but I think you still get notifications, such as mentions).

Unread is based on your Tracking/Watching statuses of each topic you’ve participated/read (tracking being set based on your user preferences and your watching categories.

(TechnoBear) #9

[quote=“cpradio, post:8, topic:20979”]
So notifications, to my knowledge, contain at least the following:…

New is based on your user preference setting and your muted categories (as muted categories won’t notify you of new/unread topics – but I think you still get notifications, such as mentions).

Unread is based on your Tracking/Watching statuses of each topic you’ve participated/read (tracking being set based on your user preferences and your watching categories.
[/quote]OK, thanks - that’s pretty much what I thought. But what I’m seeing here is that my notifications contain topics (in my watched categories) which were started while I was away and in which I have therefore had no participation - but these were not listed on the “New” or “Unread” pages.

(cpradio) #10

Okay, I can’t explain the :frowning:

(Jeff Atwood) #11

Correct – for example, if someone mentions you by name in a topic like so @technobear, you will be notified, regardless of whether you were “watching” that particular topic or not.

The only way this wouldn’t happen is if you have explicitly muted the category or topic.

(TechnoBear) #12

[quote=“codinghorror, post:11, topic:20979”]
Correct – for example, if someone mentions you by name in a topic like so @technobear, you will be notified, regardless of whether you were “watching” that particular topic or not.
[/quote]Yes, I understand that, thank you.

What I don’t understand is why I have notifications for topics which started while I was away, in which I have therefore not participated and which don’t mention me, and these same topics do not show up in “New” or “Unread” (where I would expect them to be) or in the “suggested” topics as topics with unread posts…

(Jeff Atwood) #13

Can you provide a screenshot of said notification please?

Is the topic notification state (the control at the bottom of each topic) for these topics set to anything other than “regular”?

(TechnoBear) #14

Screenshots are in my post above.

(Jeff Atwood) #15

Can you please answer the second part of my reply, above?

(TechnoBear) #16

Sorry - it wasn’t there when I replied. :wink:

As I’ve said several times, I’m referring to topics in my “watched” categories.

(Jeff Atwood) #17

If you are watching the category, then every new topic that is created in that category will have its topic notification state set to watching.

This means you will be notified as described in the UI for the “Watching” notification level on all topics in that category created from that point on.

(setting notification level at the category level is not retroactive for all previous topics in the category, only future topics.)

I have highlighted the relevant sections:

You will be notified of every new post in this topic

and

A count of unread and new posts will also appear next to the topic.

(Jeff Atwood) #18

As for this.

Per your user preferences, New is defined as “created in the last two days”.

So if you are on holiday for 30 days, you won’t see the last 30 days of new topics, just the last 2 – unless you have modified your user preferences. The New tab explains this, I have highlighted the relevant sections:

As for unread, watched topics should appear there – unless you’ve dismissed them. Did you at any point dismiss unread via these buttons, either Dismiss Topics or Dismiss Posts?

(TechnoBear) #19

[quote=“codinghorror, post:17, topic:20979”]
You will be notified of every new post in this topic
[/quote]I’m not arguing with that; it’s what I expected and what I wanted.

What is confusing me is that many of the posts showing up in notifications did not show up in “New” and “Unread”, and were never “suggested” topics (or, if they were, had no idicator to show there were new posts), while orther topics/posts in the notification menu also appeared in “New” and “Unread” and I can’t work out why this should be.

(Jeff Atwood) #20

See my reply directly above yours for the response to that.