Unread/new badge style?

(Kris) #1

The style of the new/unread badges is feeling a bit off to me.

Maybe that’s a good thing because they stand out more? are they too similar to categories without the border radius?

Move the new/unread counters to the first column in topic list
Likes Count Inconsistently Low for Topics
(Kris) #2

Too subtle?

(Régis Hanol) #3

I like the subtle experience way more than the first mockup or what we have right now.

(Bill Ayakatubby) #4

I like the subtle one better. Would the notifications counter also change, since they currently match?

(Benjamin Kampmann) #5

Somehow the subtle one feels way more familiar and cleaner. It feels like I have seen that before … And yes, I do like that more than the current or the other version. +1 for subtle!

(Kris) #6

Ah right, that’s a good point. That would probably make sense…

They are pretty similar to iOS8 badges

(Rikki Tooley) #7

I think all three topic lists (current, the two above) look fine… as for the hamburger dropdown…

//discourse-meta.s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/original/3X/5/5/558371dc302b936cbfba1658b2a1a0968623d91e.png

//discourse-meta.s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/original/3X/9/0/90b96f0cbff660d1d41a30cecb9aad350ff8bd4b.png

(in context):

I don’t think any of the three designs for the badges work here… this section needs a big rethink imo.

(Kris) #8

Yeah, that area is a mess - there was some related discussion here.

(Jeff Atwood) #9

Sure the “transparent” outlines are less noisy to my eye, try that.

(Dave McClure) #10

The grey badges for link counts (and probably for the grey unread count) should not have an outline IMHO though:

Or it should be a white fill with a grey outline… Or something…

Also on mobile, the new badge is now blank:

(Kris) #11

yes, just noticed that! definitely need to fix asap

(Toby Erkson) #12

I agree, the transparent outlines are nice. I vote to keep it :white_check_mark:

(Dave McClure) #13

:thumbsup:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/2583

(Kris) #14

also had a PM notification badge issue on mobile, and moved that style to common

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/2584

(Nathan Rijksen) #15

Honestly I’m not a big fan of the new badges personally. They look ok by themselves but in the larger context they look out of place. I think it’s the round borders particularly that make it feel like they belong on another site - Discourse is very square (which I like).

(cpradio) #16

Plus, I find myself struggling to find them in the topic list anymore… So parsing through that list is difficult at best now. :frowning:

(Jeff Atwood) #17

This feedback does not make sense to me – the old unread/new badges were round for a year, so are the new ones. The only thing that changed is that they are outline instead of filled, so they give a “lighter” feel to the page that I think reads much better, and the more of them you have on the page the more pronounced the effect is.

(Jens Maier) #18

I’m with @cpradio, I don’t like the new, ‘lighter’ feel. Scanning the topics page for new stuff has become harder, and badges for PM notifications and other notifications are almost indistinguishable.

It might be better if the outline were more pronounced, for instance twice as wide as it is now.

(Sam Saffron) #19

It bothers me we are making such a radical change 1 week before v1. I also find it a bit harder to scan for unread stuff now as stuff blends.

I feel like an improvement to the hamburger menu came at the cost of a general regression globally.

Also I think radical changes like this really should be behind a feature flag for a while.

(Nathan Rijksen) #20

I might be off on the round border thing, I was simply trying to pinpoint what I find offputting about the new design. Regardless of whether it was round before I still find the new design to feel out of place.

Also can’t help but feel this fix falls under the category of “if it aint broke dont fix it”.