Unsubscribing from email notifications without login

email

(Avron Marcus) #1

We require all of our users to login to our Discourse.

However, when users are interacting by email alone, it can be a pain for them to login to access their notification settings (link in the footer of their emails).

This is especially the case when a user wants to unsubscribe from being notified about every post but has to log in in order to do so.

Is there a way that they can access notification settings, by clicking on the link, without logging in?

I believe this is available on the digest, but can it be used on other email notifications as well?

Unsubscribe from emails without login
(Jeff Atwood) #2

No, if this was the case anyone could unsubscribe you from anything by following the link. Or if you forwarded the mail to others…

(Avron Marcus) #3

Thanks Jeff

Many other systems face the same risk, but temper it by sending a follow up email on unsubscription to inform people that someone has taken this action.

My worry is that requiring a login puts quite a barrier in place to unsubscribing.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #4

Relevant discussion here:

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #5

Currently, digest emails contain the worst offender:

I’m about to improve the signal to noise ratio in our forum by going full moderation… I feel it would be less necessary if I had all my users Watching each Category, able to readily unsubscribe from any given topic if/when it was no longer suiting them to receive that thread. (They can always go visit it online later & re-watch, if they cared to)

(Jeff Atwood) #6

See