Untrack topics in Unread list

(Ted Lilley) #1

At some point I get disinterested in topics which keep showing up on my Unread list.

I’d like to be able to mark some or all of them to no longer be tracked. In my head I see the Gmail model of ticking checkboxes next to topics, with the ability to select all with a box at the top, then an action menu that lets you select what you want to do. Since I don’t see more than one action at the moment, perhaps just a button that says “Untrack” which only shows up once you’ve selected something.

Perhaps better is the approach I’ve seen on some iOS apps of making you press an Edit button before the checkboxes will appear so the interface remains uncluttered. The rest works the same as the Gmail idea.

Just blue-skying some ideas. I would like to be able to clear out that list of topics I no longer care to track.

Mark Topics as Not-New
(Jeff Atwood) #2

I see – there is of course the notification control at the bottom of each topic, but that’d require you to enter each topic and set it.

We do need a generalized method of selecting and acting on multiple topics in the topic list, and I’ve acknowledged this need before. This appears to be another case of it.

Mark Topics as Not-New
(Doug Moore) #3

I just wanted to also make sure you know that you can get them to disappear, as @codinghorror pointed out to me, by changing the notification method to “muted” in the dropdown under favorite/share/reply. It does not negate the need to multi-select, but it may help you in the short-term.

(Sam Saffron) #4

We used to be able to do this on hover, but the hover was buggy and does not work at all on tablets so we shelved it for launch. Nonetheless, I do not think hover is the correct solution here.

Multiselect!
Seems to be popping up all over the place :stuck_out_tongue:

(Jeff Atwood) #6

This is now possible via the Dismiss Unread button at the bottom of your unread tab. There is a similar button for Dismiss New on your new tab.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

(Sam Saffron) #8

Not Dismiss Unread does not untrack, it just “pretends you read it” afaik.

(Jeff Atwood) #9

It sets the topics from “tracked” or “watched” to “regular”, so it does in fact do that. Just tested it on discuss.emberjs.com and

1. Go to unread tab, it has one topic in it.
  2. Press dismiss unread button.
  3. Enter topic that was shown on unread tab, notification state is set to “regular” as expected.