Updating Discourse v1.7.4-dirty to newer version

Hello folks

I am newbie on discourse. I have discourse on server automatically installed by application of bitnami on management panel of server company. There is no update button on admin panel. I can log in to server by ssh. How can I update this Discourse v1.7.4-dirty to newer version?

(Felix Freiberger) #2

Bitnami installs are not supported and regularly cause problems :frowning:

Here’s what you should do:

1. Take a backup of your instance and download the backup.
  2. Remove Discourse.
  3. Reinstall Discourse using the official instructions.
  4. Restore your backup.

In the future, you can simply upgrade through the web UI :slight_smile:

Thank you Felix for your reply. I can reinstall the server by one click. Shall I install Ubuntu 16.04 LTS x86_64 ? Only the steps on the link you sent me enough to make discourse works successfully? Or should I install ruby on rail support?, postresql, other linux steps too?

Or should I only delete the discourse application from the current server installation? If yes, how can I delete the discourse installation only?

(Jay Pfaffman) #4

The install cloud directions include all the steps. You do not need to install anything else.

Starting with a clean Ubuntu install is best. Make sure that you download the backup file before you wipe the server with a clean install.

I installed a new Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. I successfully did the first steps. But at the step of “./discourse-setup” I got a message below:

Port 80 appears to already be in use.

If you are trying to run Discourse simultaneously with another web
server like Apache or nginx, you will need to bind to a different port

See https://meta.discourse.org/t/17247

I have a shared cloud server.

(Stephen Chung) #6

What cloud service?
Some service has Ubuntu with apache already setup. See if apache is already there. If so, apt-get remove it.

Thank you. I have deleted apache from ubuntu. But it still says the same this below:

./discourse-setup
Port 80 appears to already be in use.

If you are trying to run Discourse simultaneously with another web
server like Apache or nginx, you will need to bind to a different port

See https://meta.discourse.org/t/17247

If you are reconfiguring an already-configured Discourse, use

./launcher stop app

to stop Discourse before you reconfigure it and try again.

(Jay Pfaffman) #8

What service are you using?

Can you course another su /Ubuntu install that sits not have some web server installed? You want not to have any web server and nothing like cpanel installed.

I installed a new ubuntu. And successfully installed discourse. Now all is good. Thanks for caring.