Upgrade Discourse from 1.9.0 to 2.1.2

Hi,

I would like to upgrade Discourse from 1.9.0 to 2.1.2, but I just have question.

As the Discourse -1.9.0 is running on psql-9.5, but Discourse 2.1.2 required psql 10+.

I have new DB created in separate VM in with psql 10.5 and if I export the DB data from 9.5 to new DB(10.5), then it will compatible to Discourse 2.1.2 ?

Do you have any better suggestions on upgrade Discourse from 1.9.0 to 2.1.2

If you are using a standard install then the upgrade will upgrade postgres for you.

4 Likes

If I, remember correctly, you might have to rebuild two times. The first rebuild will upgrade postgres, the second will upgrade Discourse

So don’t worry if it doesn’t complete the first time

5 Likes

Thanks @pfaffman & @Steven,

I am using new DB in separate VM and I will provide new DB connections details (DB host, DB username, Password & Port) in app.yml (in app VM).

So, this case the DB data exported from 9.5 to new DB(10.5), then will compatible work with Discourse 2.1.2 ?

I would do the upgrade using the database templates provided and switch to your new database after the upgrade.

1 Like

Yes, if you point Discourse to the PostgreSQL that is running version 10.5 it will update successfully.

3 Likes

Thanks @pfaffman & @Falco

1 Like