Upgrade Getting Stuck?

(Victor Aprea) #1

When I go to

/admin/upgrade#/upgrade/discourse and click Start Upgrading, it seems like the virtual console is stuck on the first line

$ cd /var/www/discourse && git fetch && git reset --hard HEAD@{upstream}

Am I doing something wrong? Should I do some manual process at the real command line to bring things up to snuff? I’m pretty good about running updates periodically and not too infrequently…

(Andrew Waugh) #2

How long did you give it?

The GUI upgrade does seem to pause for long enough that one could easily think it had hung.

I think it is faster if you ssh in to the server and do it from the CLI.

(Victor Aprea) #3

@JagWaugh by “do it from the CLI” do you mean navigate to the docker directory and execute ./launcher rebuild app? I gave it a good 10 minutes and saw no change in the browser, and this is on two separate instances of discourse that I maintain.

(David Collantes) #4

The right URI is http://host.example.com/admin/upgrade. Can you try that and see what happens?

(Andrew Waugh) #5

Yes,

Sudo -s

Have a look at how much disk space you have
take a peek at what is going on with top
then, when you’re sure that the box is running on all cylinders

cd /var/discourse
git pull
./launcher rebuild app

(Victor Aprea) #6

@David_Collantes sure, but I’m not hard pathing to the URL, I’m going through the website UI to get there.

Currently what I see in admin is:

… and if I navigate to https://the.website.url/admin/upgrade I see…

(Victor Aprea) #7

@JagWaugh I’m a little fidgety about doing this while the website says “Currently Upgrading” even though I’m pretty sure that’s a falsehood.

(cpradio) #8

If you upgraded via the command line, just click on the Currently Upgrading, and you will see a Reset Upgrade button, click that next.

Cannot upgrade from admin interface
(Andrew Waugh) #9

Have a look at the majority of the support responses to similar questions about having trouble upgrading. Almost all of the responses include:

How much space have you got? (df)
How much memory have you got? (free)
What version of Ubuntu are you running?
Have you updated Ubuntu?

If the host is ok then the next level of triage is:

git pull
./launcher rebuild app

Rebuild from the CLI stops the app, pulls the latest docker, and runs the upgrade.

The discourse guys have done a pretty good job of building a reliable appliance.

Make sure you have a backup (yada, yada, yada), make sure the box is up to date and has space etc, then pull and rebuild.

(Victor Aprea) #10

Yea I’m totally not complaining about discourse, much praise is deserved. If I’m the only one that experienced this nothing to worry about, but it’s an odd coincidence that two servers both experienced this within a temporal locality. FYI I’m running container rebuilds right now on both servers.

(Victor Aprea) #11

OK gang, the first server finished the container rebuild and now I’m seeing a 502 Bad Gateway error when I navigate to it…

Update, ran ./launcher cleanup and container is back up and running.