Uploading images from mobile device

(David García-Navas) #1

So, could we upload an image stored on our Android phone or iPhone?
I only see this:

…but how do i drag or paste on a little mobile device?
Is it a planned feature?

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Like I mentioned earlier, the current workaround is:

1. Open new mobile browser tab
  2. Visit imgur.com in that tab
  3. Upload image
  4. Copy URL of uploaded image
  5. Switch to previous mobile browser tab to Discourse
  6. Paste in URL

Remember that Discourse will onebox URLs pasted in on a line by themselves, including images.

It of course makes sense to improve this for mobile eventually, but there is a way to do it.

(Sam Saffron) #3

The odd thing is that jQuery File Upload Demo - Basic version the plugin we use supports mobile just fine.

@zogstrip I wonder how easy it would be to add. Uploading from mobile can be a very powerful and useful feature. Think selling stuff, posting pictures of places you went to and so on. Save a trip to the computer.

(Régis Hanol) #4

I actually never tried but it should work via the composer toolbar (provided that we actually display the toolbar…)

(Bcguy) #5

Yes, if there is one thing that Instragram has taught us here in the SF Bay area, its that photos are very important and of great interest to a significant part of the market!

(Amit Friedmann) #6

There isn’t a toolbar as far as I can tell.

This feature is very important. Uploading from Android or iOS browsers (without imgur) would be fantastic.

(Ronteras) #8

Direct photo upload feature would be a killer.

(Larry Salibra) #9

Imgur blocks anonymous uploads from many countries (including mine) - not a very practical workaround. Can’t assume users have a list of free imagehosting sites.

(Larry Salibra) #10

I like how Github handles uploads…perhaps a similar interface would work for Discourse?

On computers, clicking “selecting them” opens a file selector. On iOS it opens the photo selector. Not sure about Android.

This may be another topic, but I didn’t realize/notice for a month or so that there was a upload button on the toolbar.

There’s room in mobile and desktop to put an upload (select?) file link to the bottom right of the editor area:

On desktop that space is currently used to periodically flash “Saved”. Is there really a need for that? Is there anything the user can do if it doesn’t flash “Saved”?

(Jeff Atwood) #11

You are right, the text to initiate upload would be nice there on mobile. Even a glyph would be OK. @zogstrip can you make sure that is on your list?

(Jeff Atwood) #12

This is now done, upload is present on mobile, thanks @zogstrip!

(Jeff Atwood) #13