Uploading Multiple Images at Once - Mobile Web

(Fahad Ullah) #1

The current flow of uploading multiple images on mobile is a bit odd. If I select a single image from mobile and upload it, everything works perfectly. However, when I try to select multiple images on the phone and then upload them, it doesn’t work as expected. The images remain in Uploading… Uploading… and nothing happens.

I am not sure, if this is how it is supposed to work or I am doing anything wrong. Tested it with multiple devices and the problem is same.

P.S. Our users are facing this problem as well as we have recently migrated away from vBulletin after using it for more than a decade.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Hmm let me try from my iPhone 7

Works fine

(Fahad Ullah) #3

Testing from OnePlus 3 on Android 6.0.1 using Piktures Gallery App (Default Gallery doesn’t support Multiple Images)

Uploading… Uploading…

(Fahad Ullah) #4

Testing from OnePlus 3 on Android 6.0.1 using Google Photos (Selected 2 photos, only 1 was uploaded)

(Jeff Atwood) #5

You are maybe running into size issues?

(Fahad Ullah) #6

Testing 2 images of less than 200kb each using Google Photos on OnePlus 3 running Android 6.0.1

(Fahad Ullah) #7

Testing 2 images of less than 200kb each using Piktures on OnePlus 3 running Android 6.0.1

Uploading… Uploading…

(Fahad Ullah) #8

I don’t think that is the issue. I just posting smaller images and still the same problem.

(Jeff Atwood) #9

Two photos just taken on Nexus 5, latest everything, uploaded via chrome

It is dark where I am but you get the idea… Works fine.

(Fahad Ullah) #10

2 Images again. I’m actually recording it so I can post this in the thread.

(Fahad Ullah) #11

Uploading… Uploading… nothing happens here

(Fahad Ullah) #12

Default Gallery only allows 1 photo

(Jeff Atwood) #13

I think you have connectivity issues to this IP address perhaps?

(Fahad Ullah) #14

Same thing is happening with Testers in Lahore office. I am in based our of Karachi. Here is how I am reproducing it:

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #15

I uploaded all the images for the native app banner topic from my phone at once, it works fine.

(Gerhard Schlager) #16

On my Nexus 5 (Android 6.0.1, Chrome 55) uploading multiple files works fine. What doesn’t work is selecting and uploading multiple files at once which is only possible when you use Google Photos to select multiple files (as seen in @fahadullah’s video).

It’s a little bit confusing since as a user I expect all selected files to be uploaded, but I’m not sure which software component is to blame. The file selector app? Google Photos? Chrome? Discourse?

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #17

On my Nexus 6P with Android 7.1.1 the default file selector (named strangely Documents) allow long-click to multi-select and upload multiple files.

(Gerhard Schlager) #18

I didn’t know that. :thumbsup:
Yes, that works as expected. So, it’s only the file selector + Google Photos combination that doesn’t work.