Uploading pictures stuck at 100%

(Christoph) #1

I can’t seem to upload any picture to my forum. It gets stuck at 100%.

Image in post:

There is no S3 or any other external storage involved.

I have checked:

*Discourse error log: nothing

• NGINX error.log: nothing
  • MYSQL error.log (if that has anything to do with anything at all): nothing

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Can you upload pictures here or to try.discourse.org? How big is the picture?

(Christoph) #3

As you can see in the OP, uploading pictures here works.

The pictures I tried to upload to my site were 108kB and 79.6 kB

(Jeff Atwood) #4

I saw another topic recently here where you failed to upload an image though. I specifically remember because it was annoying, you had the word “uploading…” actually posted in the topic.

Also did you mean Postgres when you said MySQL, above? MySQL has nothing to do with Discourse…

(Christoph) #5

Yes, I had problems uploading to meta the other day. Not sure if the problem just went away or if it’s because I’m on a different computer now.

Yes, I was suspecting that MySQL has nothing to do with Discourse. I was just looking through my /var/log folder in search for a log-file that might give me a hint. I did not look inside the container because I don’t know how to do that.

How can I trouble shoot this?

I just disabled all my browser plugins and restarted the browser, but to no avail.

(Régis Hanol) #6

This was fixed about a week ago.

Might be an issue with your image. Any chances you could upload it some places which doesn’t optimize images and link it here?

(Christoph) #7

I appreciate your help. After a couple of rebuilts, the problem seems to have gone away. I can now upload both of the images that I originally tested Let’s hope it is solved for good.

But could you specify what the limitations are for uploaded images, i.e. what kind of images will cause problems with the image optimization?

And, of course, it would be great if the optimizer/uploader could throw an error rather than being stuck for ever…

(Régis Hanol) #8

There should be none apart from respecting the size/dimension constraints.

I’m not able to reproduce the issue… which is tremendously helpful in fixing the issue :wink:

(Christoph) #9

I know, I was thinking of an algorithm where the uploader itself notices that something is not working and stops trying. A simple one would be a timer (e.g. if upload is not completed after 20 sec, it produces an error), but that may be too simple given that upload should also work with slow internet connections. Anyway, it was just a thought.

(Ed Arcos) #10

I had the same problem. It was a long polling configuration problem. Check that out.