Use Mandrill or own mail server?

email

(João Pimentel Ferreira) #1

Mandrill seems to be a nice service, but their payment method is driving us crazy. We cannot use paypal, with-which we get our donations and we tried with a temporary credit card and it also didn’t work. I wanted to recharge with a lump sum using my own credit card, but it seems according to the form, that they keep the data of my credit card, and they use it again to recharge the account if the number of emails goes beyond a certain amount.

Sorry guys, I know this is a bit off-topic because Discourse just uses by default Mandrill as an external email server, and it’s something I should ask Mandrill support, but I’d like to know your opinion of what to do in our discourse forum. We’re growing!

Would you recommend us to install our own mail server on our VPS?

(Michael Downey) #2

There’s nothing magical about Mandrill vs. other email providers, so you might want to search around and look at other alternatives that meet your payment requirements.

I for one definitely do not recommend using your own server for outbound email because deliverability is black magic and it’s best left to the email professionals.

(Manthan Mallikarjun) #3

I would reccomend you checkout Amazon SES. Its cheaper than mandrill and IMO better. I’m not sure how the payment system works though. I just have a gift card and it takes the balance from that.