User activation status in admin panel

(Tristan Goguillot) #1

Hello

We use Discourse as a company discussion platform. When people are leaving the company, I deactivate their account. But they are still shown under the “Active” user tab in the admin, which is a bit confusing (although it refers to active users and not to activated users).

Maybe it would make sense to show users who are not activated or deactivated in another panel?

Alternatively I could just Suspend or Block, or Suspend + Deactivate in order to get them out of the active view. Do you think it makes more sense?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts :slight_smile:

(Dylan) #2

I bet suspending them will remove them from the active tab, but it takes a bit of time for them to be kicked out of that tab if all you did was deactivate their email verification.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

How many users do you have? I would expect more recent activity by other users to naturally push them down and eventually off Admin, Users, Active.

Also this is an admin panel, so why is it a concern, how many people are looking at the Admin, Users, Active UI?

(Tristan Goguillot) #4

We don’t have that many users (40).

And yes they should indeed go down the list with time.

It’s definitely not a big concern, it’s just that I found a bit confusing to see them in the Active list. We

I’ll go for the Suspend + Deactivate so they won’t appear in the list. Easier to check that all former employees are deactivated.

Thanks for the answers :smile:

(Kane York) #5

I think that suspending with a reason of “No longer employed” etc is the best approach here, as non-activated is intended for users without a valid email address, and suspending takes the extra step of making sure that their login tokens are revoked.