User can't sign in

(NomNuggetNom ) #1

We have a weird scenario on our instance where one of our users can’t login to the site. When they do, they get a “500 error, Error updating information.” I am able to impersonate the user without an issue, but the user has tried multiple computers/phones/browsers/etc and nothing has worked yet.

We use SSO to override logins, but I don’t think that is the problem. Luckily we did some trial and error and I managed to snag a log of the problem:

TypeError: undefined is not an object (evaluating 'e.get("controller").show(t,n,s[0]).then')
Url: http://forum.minecraftpvp.com/assets/application-b9c1b446bc3b33a4b6ea85ac9b2ce0ab.js
Line: 16
Column: 56780

There is no backtrace. Any clue what’s going on here? Happy to provide any other info needed.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

What’s different about this user? If you create a new user from scratch can you repro failure to log in?

(NomNuggetNom ) #3

Nothing about the user is that different. This is definitely an isolated issue. I don’t think this is the first time it has happened, but this is the first exact and reproducible instance I’ve found.

Could the user’s IP be blocked? It could be hitting this line (unknown_error translates to “error updating information”). Whether it is or not, that line seems to be giving the wrong error message.

(NomNuggetNom ) #5

He can view the forum but can’t sign in. He has also tried from multiple
IPs.

(Robin Ward) #6

Unfortunately that Javascript error is minified so it’s hard for me to debug. I think unfortunately I’ll need a way to reproduce it to fix it for you.

(NomNuggetNom ) #7

Would poking at our instance from the inside offer anything? I’d be happy to let you :). I don’t see us reproducing this any time soon.

(Robin Ward) #8

If you can’t reproduce by impersonating then there isn’t much I can do either :frowning:

Maybe if they gave you their password to try that way and it broke? I could then try the same and look at the error.

(NomNuggetNom ) #9

Alright, I’ll see if he’s willing to send me info. Thanks.