User Customization selection

(PJH) #1

Had a quick search, but couldn’t find anything similar. Surprisingly. Feel free to move/merge

Been playing around with Site customization, with (effectively) real-time suggestions etc from some of my users by providing them with the UUID preview-style parameter. Ended up with a half-reasonable dark-theme for the forum.

Naturally, some of them liked the effects, others observing the topic in real-time and not really participating hated it and preferred the current (largely default) light theme.

Fair enough. I hand out the UUID and those that want the dark-theme can at least access it, even if in a clunky manner.

Is there anything in the pipeline to offer users one of a selection of the CSS/HTML customisations available from which to choose, rather than forcing everyone to use the same one (absent the preview-style parameter mentioned above.)

Basically I’m after something akin (in purpose) to vBulletin’s user ‘Forum Skin’ selection:

A more robust ecosystem for creating, sharing and modifying themes
A more robust ecosystem for creating, sharing and modifying themes
(Jeff Atwood) #2

This is not in any of our current plans. I recommend they look into the Stylish browser plugin.

(PJH) #3

Rather less surprisingly, this is the other clunky solution that has been bandied around threads passim on our forum.,

(Jeff Atwood) #4

This is something it would be good to see a community plugin PR for, IMHO

(PJH) #5

Indeed.

But until I can accurately - , and repeatedly (my sticking point at the moment - docker and git aren’t playing nicely,) create a sandbox forum to test anything I’d remotely consider submitting a pull request for (presuming I even get that far - PR’s is something I’ve not done yet) - requesting common functionality common on other forum software is the best I have at the moment.

I’m fully aware, Jeff, that you are likely - nay have already - shot this suggestion down in flames.

I shall go running back to said forum to say “use 3rd party software.” Watch my users wither. Or be vocal. You know which they are going to do, despite my recent attempts at mitigating their problems.

You seriously don’t have installations that have ‘themes’ (Halloween? Christmas? Thanksgiving? Easter? Party? ‘Parents’ Day, May 4th? April 14th?, Ramadan?) that other users would like to see at times other than when admins on installation decide that others may view them? When they remember.

Individual Forum anniversaries? (Forum…) Founder birthdays?. Random occasions that those missing them (Cornify on Slashdot?) missed but would like to use permanently?

Am I wasting my time trying to provide a use case here, and need to actually create my reproducible sandbox?

(Sam Saffron) #6

This particular issue is something that I have wanted for ages, (look at that post #29)

Unfortunately, I am the only one in the team that really wants this. I think the only way to push this forward would be to build a plugin that enables this functionality. (the measly 3 likes also indicates the community don’t much care for this)

Once we have that and show how cool it is we can bring this back to discussion.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

I suppose, but it is like wanting “that special Google logo they had that one day” to be your Google logo default forever on your home page. How many people actually do this?

Plus, it’s already possible right now with Stylish. And learning to use that means you can theme any site on the Internet.

Teach a man to fish, etc.

(PJH) #8

It’s also like having two themes, dark and light, or thin and wide, and letting people select which they want on your site as a preference, instead of them having to install 3rd party tools and hack around themselves to do it.

Presuming, of course, that such 3rd party tools exist. A quick search seems to indicate that Stylish isn’t actually available for IE9, though some of the pages I read were 3 years old.

And this, from last year, indicates IE9 and 10 don’t support it either.

http://www.librarything.com/wiki/index.php/Stylish

• Internet Explorer: No usable Stylish extension exists for IE. You can make it do the equivalent, but it requires enough low-level tinkering that the kind of person who would do that would probably not use Internet Explorer.

(Jeff Atwood) #9

I highly doubt IE users are the sort of users who are gung ho about customizing their experience. And IE is a very low percent of our traffic, even a speedily declining percent of all global internet traffic…

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_explorer.asp

(Sam Saffron) #10

I think this really should start out as a plugin, it makes more sense this way.

User Styles: allow user to select a site customisation.

Long term I think this is how we will end up folding more features into core.